Ball python not eating

Questions and suggestions regarding reptile cuisine.

Ball python not eating

Postby kate » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:45 pm

About 3 months ago we acquired a ball python (about 7 months old). He ate 3 frozen mice but has not eaten anything for 5 weeks. We are really worried about him and I'm thinking that perhaps it's time to try a live mouse. I'm open to any suggestions please on what could help him eat but if it's live mice, does anyone know of a petshop in the Southern Suburbs of Cape Town where I could get a pinkie?
kate
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Ball python not eating

Postby RaD » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:06 pm

It would help to find out what he was being fed before. What are you housing him in, ie: does he feel safe? and how are you feeding the thawed mice? just plopping them in the cage or presenting with tweezers?
RaD
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kate » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:33 am

He's in a fairly big cage (1.5, 40 x40 cage) and he has a little black box to hide in although he seems to prefer to crawl under the newspaper at the bottom of the cage. He has eaten 3 frozen mice before delivered on the end of braai tongs. It's a mystery. Do ball pythons go into hybernation?
kate
SA Reptiles Member

Postby RaD » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:49 pm

If you can, I'd suggest putting him in a smaller cage until he is bigger. 1.5M is very large and he might be scared. Have you got a heat pad in there, and is he lying on it? Also, how humid is the cage? Have you got a hydrometer to measure this? Have you kept snakes before, and can you recognise if he is about to shed?

Adult ball pythons sometimes go on a fast that can last several months, so i wouldn't worry too much. Just monitor his weight, and try to feed him every week. The biggest thing is to feed him what he is used to eating, in the same way he used to be fed. The pet shop should be able to tell you that, depending on reputability.
RaD
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kate » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:06 pm

Ok I will try a smaller cage - good suggestion thanks. We do have a heat pad but not a hydrometer which I will also get. We'll continue to persist with the frozen mice. I can recognize when he's about to shed but he doesn't look like it's about to happen. I can't believe that such a young creature wouldn't be ravenous (esp by now!) but maybe that's certain ball pythons for you.
kate
SA Reptiles Member

Postby RaD » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:25 pm

ye, keep at it. and don't stress. give it a week and try again.
RaD
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kate » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:11 pm

Thanks RaD
kate
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Reptile cuisine