Weird egg, wrong timing.

Snakes exotic to South Africa commonly known as non-venomous.

View Gallery

Weird egg, wrong timing.

Postby Primogen » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:29 am

I decided to breed a pair of my black rat snakes this year, An Albino black rat to my Normal Female.

I introduced them together on the 11th of October and copulation was immediate I left them together for the night after I confirmed the lock.
I then separated them the next morning.
I did the same thing the next weekend of the 18th with the same results to ensure a better breeding.

So the breeding went well and she looks gravid but now there seems to be something strange going on.
I expected her to lay around the 22nd to the 28th of November and maybe she still will.
She has gone into shed now and I assume it must be pre-lay but this morning while I was checking on her I found this slug.
Normally it would not bother me as I have had this happen before, but not while the snake was in shed.

Here is the slug.

Should I be concerned or is this something that just happens.
“The animal needing something knows how much it needs, the man does not.” — Democritus
Primogen
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Weird egg, wrong timing.

Postby Ruan Stander » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:16 pm

I really don't know much about this, but if you say it does happen from time to time, I don't think the fact that she is in a shed cycle is very significant.
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:03 pm

Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much at this stage.

I recon she will still give you a nice batch of fully developed eggs at the end of November.

Good luck.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Primogen » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:12 pm

Thanks for the replies, I had a feeling it was nothing, just needed a little assurance.
“The animal needing something knows how much it needs, the man does not.” — Democritus
Primogen
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Exotic fangless (harmless) snakes