Heating

Snakes exotic to South Africa commonly known as non-venomous.

View Gallery

Heating

Postby Kobus » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:04 pm

I have a set of stacked cages.

IMG-20161216-WA0000.jpg

Each Cage is
Length = 85cm
Width = 34cm
Height = 36cm

The cage is built with 12mm plywood and has 2 doors at the back.

For convenience sake I use newspaper as a substrate.

I plan to use a heat mat in each cage, but obviously the heat mat can not be under the newspaper. My idea is to put the heat mat on the plywood and then put a piece of Hardboard the size of 40cm x 34cm on top of the heat pad in each of the 5 cages. The Thermostat (which I still have to purchase) wires will then come between the hardboard and the Heat mat.

Will this be ok or does anybody have a better suggestion with regards to a heat source.

I currently have 1 x Corn (length = 151cm, Weight = 890g)

I intend to still get 1 x Mexican King, 1 x Ball Python soon after the cages have been rigged up properly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kobus
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Heating

Postby Superciliaris » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:33 am

Hey man I would use globes. Heat mats are actually made for under cages outside of the snakes environment. It's not safe inside a cage.
Life is the greatest adventure imaginable.
Superciliaris
SA Reptiles Member

Postby IanM » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:10 am

if the heatmats are connected to a thermostat placing them on the wood with a ceramic tile ontop will be fine.
I have done it that way for years, and so have many of my friends and have never had any issues
IanM
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kobus » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:54 pm

Thank You Supercilliaris,

Take into account that I intend placing the Heat mat on top of the plywood with hardboard on top of the heat mat. In other words the heat mat will be sandwiched between the plywood and the hardboard.

Thank You Ianm,

I never thought of the Ceramic Tile idea. It would be safer than the hardboard I suppose. I will try it.

Now I have another problem and maybe somebody can help.

My Corn with the name "Sleepy" is as I have said 151cm long and weighs 890g. Unfortunately he only loves one of his hides. Whenever you put him in the 2nd hide, he marches right back to the 1st one.

The problem is it seems that he has outgrown the 1st hide. I even tried to remove it, but then he choose to lie under the newspaper.

The 1st Hide Sizes: -
Length = 30cm
Width = 10cm
Height = 11cm

1st Hide.jpg

The 2nd Hide Sizes: -
Length = 36cm
Width = 21cm
Height = 8cm

2nd Hide.jpg

I have searched several on-line shops, but can not find something similar and bigger than the 1st Hide.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kobus
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:14 pm

Ag each person has their own preferences. In the past I have placed my heat mats inside the cages, straight under the newspaper, but simply connected to a thermostat.

Risk is minimal while running through the thermostat.

The ceramic tile idea works well to evenly distribute the heat, especially with the higher wattage mats.

Regarding the hides, You can try anything really. Snakes like to be snug ans secure in their hides, so holes all over the top isnt ideal. A kitty litter tray (or any old Tupperware) with a small hole in the side typically works well. Doesnt look great. but it works.

But I would say if your snake still fits in the old hide without lifting it up while underneath, stick to the old one.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Kobus » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:20 pm

Thank you Westley and everybody. I will use your advice, as I am still a layman with snakes, but I want to look properly after them.
Kobus
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kobus » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:55 pm

I have closed the holes on top, and it seems he likes it now
Kobus
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:29 am

Just make sure those holes stay closed, I have seen it many times where a snake gets bigger and then can't fit through the holes any more and then gets stuck half way through, most of the time it does not work out too well for the snake.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Return to Exotic fangless (harmless) snakes