Venom vs Constrictor

This section is for debates, Quizzes and Competitions. Please keep the debates clean, no name calling, etc. Have fun!
Check back often to see the latest Competitions and progress thereof.

Venom vs Constrictor

Postby Hustler » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:57 pm

What is really the most dangerous here, who's really the king between the 2. Friend asked me this question and I said definately a constrictor just wanted to get other peoples point of views :D
The man who has no imagination has no wings. -Muhammad Ali

You can live every day like a man. But if you do not die like a man then it all means nothing.
- Egan Inoue
Hustler
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Venom vs Constrictor

Postby reptile_man65 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:59 pm

Venemous way more dangerous however it depends on a few factors. But def venemous.
reptile_man65
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Postby Buck Rogers » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:56 pm

It can depend on a number of factors, its like which is more dangerous - a bear or a lion?? I suppose the best way to put it is - which would you rather kill you, a venomous or a constrictor?
Life is a beautiful struggle
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Postby reptile_man65 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:31 pm

No! You're wrong. Constrictors are far less likely to kill you. It's statiscs.
reptile_man65

Postby Hustler » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:26 am

@ Buck I'm not ready to die just yet
@ Reptile man statistics are just notes followed by someone who doesn't know where they stand I say, if a venomous bit you sure it bit you but you could still rush to a hospital and get antivenom now if a real big constrictor like a green anaconda or a retic were to just turn and think of you as food and you're alnoe fact is the chances of you surving are slim to nothing and you gonna die real soon and sure there's the our shoulders are to broad but stranger things have happened and who says it cant kill you and get rid of the evidence venomous are dangerous we all know but it can be reversed if it's done in time, can constriction be reversed if its got you real good though
The man who has no imagination has no wings. -Muhammad Ali

You can live every day like a man. But if you do not die like a man then it all means nothing.
- Egan Inoue
Hustler
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Snakes4Africa » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:14 am

Yada yada yada. Same old arguement. this has been discussed here before. The fact is, if you have an opinion on this subject, nobody will sway you.
Personally, I feel that dead is dead.
Those who have made no mistakes have learned nothing and can teach nothing.
The same is true of those who continue to make the same mistakes.

Pain is temporary
Snakes4Africa
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpy » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:04 am

yes dead id dead, but who's the faster killer.

Constrictor for sure, if a 6m retic grabs you you're a gonner. A cobra or something gets you you can atleast have life saving treatment.
A good burper is a good herper.
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fredsmith » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:24 am

Constrictors have gotta be the king. Like serpy reckons.. If a big snake's got you, consider yourself got.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby reptile_man65 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:51 am

There is no sure way of treating snake venom in the human body.
reptile_man65

Postby reptile_man65 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:53 am

Hustler go see the death toll for both. You will be shocked and dismayed. Constrictors are gentle giants.
reptile_man65

Postby insaniac » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:20 am

@ reptile_man65 :

The reason why less people get killed by huge constrictors is because there aren't many around in rural areas... Big snakes live in forests and jungles where they can hide from getting disturbed and catch their larger prey.

There are a lot more venomous snakes around where people live, because that's where their food ( rats, mice, birds ) hangs out because of the food we provide them...

To blame statistics for this is just plain wrong...

If you had as many huge constrictors slithering around as venomous snakes, I'm sure thousands more of us would already be Python food...
I may be schizophrenic, but at least I have each other...
insaniac
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushbaby » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:28 am

I would in all honesty rather take my chances with a constrictor than a venomous snake. Venom can kill you faster for a number of reasons. Constrictors methods are a little slower thus you have a better chance to survive a constrictor than a venomous snake bite.

Just my 2 cents worth!
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby WW » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:57 am

Depends a bit on how you define dangerous.

Statistically, your chances of finding yourself in the coils of a constrictor that really means business are very small. In the field, they are to all intents and purposes zero.

HOWEVER, if you do get bitten by a venomous snake, you normally have a number of hours to do something about it before you hit the point of no return (and even most untreated bites are non-fatal in all but a small minority of species). On the other hand, if you are the lucky winner and do find yourself in the coils of a large constrictor that actually wants to kill you, you have at most a minute or two for someone else to do something about it. Indeed, if the constrictor is very large indeed (> 6 m), you probably stand a high risk of fatal internal injuries even if someone does get it off you before your heart stops and/or you suffer fatal brain damage.

Personally, I'd be more scared of entering an enclosure with a large retic than an enclosure with virtually any venomous snake.

Cheers,

WW
patience n. the vice of accepting the unacceptable, thereby encouraging further occurrences
WW
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:38 am

Personally, I'd be more scared of entering an enclosure with a large retic than an enclosure with virtually any venomous snake.

That is just it.

You hit the nail on the head. Be they gently giants or not, large constrictors have the ability (as opposed to the probability) to kill you quicker than any venomous could. And if you get off lightly and only recieve a bite from a large constrictor you'll be crying like a baby and tagging along with the guy that got nailed by a venomous to the hospital anyway.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby insaniac » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:49 am

100 % !!!!

I agree with both the previous statements

Constrictors are more dangerous, No Doubt !
I may be schizophrenic, but at least I have each other...
insaniac
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Debate, Quiz and Competition Forum