Most venomous snake on the planet

This section is for debates, Quizzes and Competitions. Please keep the debates clean, no name calling, etc. Have fun!
Check back often to see the latest Competitions and progress thereof.

Re: Most venomous snake on the planet

Postby yoson10 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:03 am

WW wrote:Most of these lists are a load of tosh. Really, there can be no answer to the question about "the most venomous snake in the world", as there are so many different ways of answering that.

And even then... there are plenty of species at the bottom of the table in venomdocs s.c. LD50 list that you do NOT want to get bitten by - Lachesis, Bothrops asper and WDB to name but a few...

Well actullay I looked and the bothrops asper[terciopelo] wasnt on the list. The bothrops atrox [which is a very close relative of the bothrops asper] was recorded on the list but not the bothrops asper. And yes the bothrops asper[ terciopelo] is probably one of the worst of all bites for humans. The bite from a bothrops asper wont kill you but it will give the bitten area necrosis and tissue damage that is 5 times worse than the necrosis from a spitting cobra bite.

Oh and by the way dr fry labeled the snakes wrong. He said that the bothrops atrox was the terciopelo, but its not. The bothrops asper is called the terciopelo not the bothrops atrox is generally just called a lancehead.
yoson10
SA Reptiles Member

Postby MrG » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:15 am

Ok, what snake then kills the most people? Russels viper?
MrG
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby deleray » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:17 pm

Correct MrG, although I think it has to be up there with the Saw Scaled and the Puff Adder?
deleray
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BushSnake » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:57 pm

what snake then kills the most people?

I think the answer to that question is another question: Do we know more about snake bites from rural Africa compared to rural Asia?
We must remember that a photograph can hold just as much as we put into it, and no one has ever approached the full possibilities of the medium - Ansel Adams
BushSnake
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby yoson10 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:59 am

MrG wrote:Ok, what snake then kills the most people? Russels viper?

Its hard to say.... Probably the saw scaled viper because it is very common and has a huge distribution across both africa and asia. The Russells is also up at the top as is the puff adder and the common indian cobra and common indian krait.
yoson10
SA Reptiles Member

Postby yoson10 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:03 am

BushSnake wrote:
what snake then kills the most people?

I think the answer to that question is another question: Do we know more about snake bites from rural Africa compared to rural Asia?

Their are more snake bites and snake bite fatalities in rural asia. This is probably because of the incredibly high density of people and the fact that their seems to be much greater direct interaction between people and the deadly asian snakes. That doesnt mean that african snakes are less deadly than asian snakes. African snakes are equally as deadly imo , but dont interact with human as often so they bite less people and kill less people.
yoson10
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:53 am

I am not sure about that statement. I just think that there is less reporting of deaths in Africa. I recently read that in certain hospitals in parts of Africa there are a large number of beds put aside for snake bite victims on a permanent basis.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby yoson10 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:09 am

Bushviper wrote:I am not sure about that statement. I just think that there is less reporting of deaths in Africa. I recently read that in certain hospitals in parts of Africa there are a large number of beds put aside for snake bite victims on a permanent basis.

Same thing can be said about sri lanka and india. I believe their are certain hospitals that have permenant krait bite areas with ventilators set aside just for krait bites. Sri lanka/ India seem to be the worst for snake bite and snake bite mortalities. Certain areas of africa are bad to as are other areas of asia and papua new guinea.
yoson10
SA Reptiles Member

Postby yoson10 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:15 am

African has a much greater variety and diversity of different types of dangerous snakes than does india/ sri lanka. Africa has many diferent types of vipers/ many different types of cobras/ spitting cobras etc. India/ sri lanka has a much more limited amount of species of deadly snakes but they ae very common and are highly aggressive. India/ sri lanka has the common krait, the spectactled cobra, the russells viper, the saw scaled viper, and the hump nosed viper. Of course their are other dangerous snakes,like the king cobra and banded krait but these are only a very minor threat.
yoson10
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Herpetologist » Wed May 12, 2010 7:41 pm

Oxyuranus microlepidotus.But 1 is Hydrophis belcheri.Not so aggresive but is extremely venomous.
1;Hydrophis belcheri
2;Oxyuranus microlepidotus
3;Pseudonaja textilis

But suppose you can relate most venomous to how much people they kill or how agro they are.This is my opinion. :smt006
I always keep a supply of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.

W. C. Fields
Herpetologist
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Previous

Return to Debate, Quiz and Competition Forum