Austin Stevens

This section is for debates, Quizzes and Competitions. Please keep the debates clean, no name calling, etc. Have fun!
Check back often to see the latest Competitions and progress thereof.

Austin Stevens

Postby Microlepidotus » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:22 pm

Who of you guys on this forum 'like' Austin Stevens.

Like is his show staged alot, fake by any chance??

Thanx D
People who dont stand up for anything, falls for everything.
Microlepidotus
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Austin Stevens

Postby steve » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:23 pm

Iv met him, he is a cool chap.
However...i doubted his knowlege when he couldnt tell the differance between an Eastern and Western Gaboon viper.
vipers?
steve
SA Reptiles Member

Postby adrianx » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:38 pm

Haha, I watched this one episode where he jumped into the river after a big female Gaboon, caught it and displayed her fangs. The only problem was that he said he was in St. Lucia, South-Africa, but the Gaboon he found in the river was in fact a B.rhinoceros...
If you want to run with the big dogs, don't piss like a puppy!
adrianx
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:48 pm

I read his Autobiography a few years back when he was doing his old sit in's and so on very interesting read actually.
I too have met his previously seemed like quite a nice guy.

Allot of the new stuff of his "Most Dangerous" is incredibly dramatisised and over the top but of course it is for Television and what is over the top and fake to you and i the public are enthralled by the actions and little stints and makes for "good" TV.

steve wrote:Iv met him, he is a cool chap.
However...i doubted his knowlege when he couldnt tell the differance between an Eastern and Western Gaboon viper.

Ah yes that famous stint then again how many of people excluding people into herps could notice that i bet a good chunk of the people into herps and even this forum cant think twice when telling the difference.

But i mean come on who can say watching him get tagged by that snouted Cobra on film wasn't awesome??
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Waz » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:08 pm

He got bitten twice on that single episode.. I cant help but laugh at his rediculous TV persona - Im sure hes a great guy. I enjoyed the king cobra episode..
Warren Garvie
www.facebook.com/warrengarviepage
Waz
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Amphibian » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:11 pm

Those TV shows have to be dramatized in order to appeal to a larger audience because walking around flipping rocks isn't everyone's cup of tea.
Austin Stevens seems like a decent guy and that pommie chap O' Shea is brilliant! But my skin crawls when ever that Brady Bar is on TV!
"When dealing with people, let us remember we are not dealing with creatures of logic.
We are dealing with creatures of emotion, creatures bustling with prejudice and motivated by pride and vanity" – Dale Carnegie
Amphibian
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Microlepidotus » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:17 pm

Oh Holy Macaroon !!!!! Dont even mention that Brady Barr.

O'shea just makes me pee in my pants when he mentions the 'Boomslang' LOL !

Donald Schultz is quite cool, in terms of knowledge, but not really a fan of him.

But Austin is my favourite, I must say.
Microlepidotus
SA Reptiles Member

Postby DmD » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:20 pm

Don't know if it was him, but a bloke got bit on the nose by a boa I couldn't stop laughing. I have to agree that most TV shows are dramatized, its what gets people to watch.
JUST DO IT
DmD
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Microlepidotus » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:23 pm

Yeah thats that 'bang gat' Barr.

Damn I reallllllly dont like him, sorry to those fans of him.

Yeah I get it that those shows are dramatized in order for people to enjoy them.
Microlepidotus
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:23 pm

Austin is a great guy with a wealth of knowledge. Unfortunately if you work in the film industry you are a type of prostitute who has to do what the producers want. He needed that opportunity to get out of the predicament he was in.

He knows full well what snake he was working with in Zululand as it was my snake that he borrowed from Gustav Collins. The editing and the script is all rubbish and thought out by big shots in LA who have no idea what they are doing. This is why I watch so few of the "nature documentaries". Most of them are setups and rubbish scripts as well.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Amphibian » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:52 pm

Dont want to hijack this post at all but there was a very good documentary on the other night called "Into the Dragons Lair". Most people I am sure have become bored with the monotony that has become reptile / wildlife documentaries however this one offered what I though was a relatively new angle.
Worth checking out.
"When dealing with people, let us remember we are not dealing with creatures of logic.
We are dealing with creatures of emotion, creatures bustling with prejudice and motivated by pride and vanity" – Dale Carnegie
Amphibian
SA Reptiles Member

Postby MV » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:14 pm

I have stated my feelings on this matter previously, BUT...

What do you guys think of Nick Baker's Wierd Creatures? I found his series quite entertaining and informative, without all the theatrics.

This is not only my oppinion, but also that of a few friends and family of mine...

Cheers,
Martin
Negative thoughts, creates a negative mind. A negative mind, creates a negative person.
A negative person, creates a negative mood, which spoils the power of positivity...
Making room, for negative thoughts. - The Circle of Negativity by MV
MV
SA Reptiles Member

Postby armata » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:49 pm

Nick Baker is a great guy and a great naturalist, I have worked with him on a number of occassions.
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Wolf777 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:06 pm

Hve to agree, I really enjoy watching Nick Baker. Watching Brady Barr is real funny at times, he over reacts to everything. I don't really like Austin Stevens shows, but have nothing against him as a person and fellow nature enthusiast.
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby sildargod » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:50 am

I utterly detest Brady Barr, he's a shambling imbecile who terrorises poor animals, and clearly doesn't actually enjoy the animals for what they are. Austin Stevens has a passion for snakes which is quite infectious, and shoots with a Canon so he's alright by me. :P
http://www.facebook.com/kaleemrorkphotography
sildargod
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Debate, Quiz and Competition Forum