Picture quiz 2 2007 (easier)

This section is for debates, Quizzes and Competitions. Please keep the debates clean, no name calling, etc. Have fun!
Check back often to see the latest Competitions and progress thereof.

Postby Quintin » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:33 pm

Thanx Rob,

I will definately have a look into that book. Speaking of which... my lovely girlfriend bought me a late Christmass present. Mark O' Shea's Venomouse Snakes of the World. Brilliant info and personal encounters and Great Pics!!!

Q
Quintin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mfezi » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:37 pm

To me those red rufous as juveniles look like womas, The yellow head changes to peach and they have spots instead of the stripes. Super beautifull animal!!

Horridus has a mean mean picture of one!! Will try get it posted here pronto.

;)
mfezi
Photo of the Month Winner

Postby Rob » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:18 pm

Yeah that's what I heard. Never seen one before. Sounds amazing though. Someone phone Horridus!
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby WW » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:33 pm

Does any one have pics or more information on the Green night adder? Apparently its found somewhere in tropical africa??!!? I once saw Steve Irwin on TV catch one!

Q

Here is a couple of pics of one from eastern Kenya. They are absolutely stunning little snakes!

Cheers,

WW
WW
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Quintin » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:09 pm

Brilliant... thanx for the pics...

I WANT, I WANT, WANT

Regards,

Quintin
Quintin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Zeek » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:24 pm

I have read about the Green Night adder before I know they occur in Africa not to sure where i will try find the book.In the libery of snake books i own
When one goes in search of honey
One must expect to be stung
Zeek
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pythonodipsas » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:30 pm

WW? Is that in Wolfgang Wuster? From the University in Wales? I recognise the quality of your pics from other forums. Welcome here. Its an honour to have your knowledge here.
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

Postby Pythonodipsas » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:47 pm

Another brilliant book for East Africa is "A Field Guide to the Reptiles of East Africa" by: Stephen Spawls, Kim Howell, Robert C. Drewes and James Ashe.

They show several species of night adder including two brilliant green ones (lichtensteini, resimus) and others like: spotted? (maculatus) and two-striped (bilineatus?) and maybe others I cant remember.
`
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise.
Roger Waters & David Gilmour - 1979
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

Postby horridus » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:17 am

here are some of the coolest beaked snake photos you will ever see

adult red beaked

head shot

size comparison

baby red beaked

Image cb rufous (i win bushviper :) )

Image baby rufous

i will be continuing to breed rufous and hopefully start on red beaked snakes soon

stay tuned
horridus
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pythonodipsas » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:32 am

Very nice! I am starting to really like those red beaked snakes.

How do the babies (rufous and red) do for you? Are they eating anything willingly? have you tried crickets?
`
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise.
Roger Waters & David Gilmour - 1979
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

Postby Rob » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:52 am

Man that's impressive. The babies are awesome. Very slender snake isn't it. Nice horridus.
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:32 am

Yeah yeah so you win. It does not matter really I just hope you get them feeding. If I had won I would have been far happier!!!! Congratulations.

It seems as if insects may be the way to go. I had some babies last year and they had to be force fed by the previous owner and by the time I got them they were stressed and died within a few days.

The red beaked snakes look more like Psammophis than beaked snakes.

I know of someone who had a rufous beaked snake bite him and he left it to chew. It was worse than an Atractaspis bite! Dont underestimate these guys.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Pythonodipsas » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:51 pm

The red beaked snakes look more like Psammophis than beaked snakes.

As you know they belong to the subfamily Psammophinae so in fact they are just glorified psammophines. Personally I think they are glorious!!!.
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

Postby horridus » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:04 pm

these are all voracious rodent eaters. i have no problems with them and unlike everyone says, they are kept at normal temps. i may end up eating my words, but at the moment i have 17 in a rack with my file snakes and they are doing fine

the red beaked snakes are longer, but not as heavy bodied as the rufous. i have a bunch of those in transit and should be able to have some breeding data soon, and who knows, maybe some on www.mfezi.co.za

cheers, don
horridus
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:46 pm

Don, You have 17 beaked snakes in a rack with Filesnakes? By tomorrow you will be lucky to have 2 in that rack. But look on the bright side, you can save on rats for a few weeks.
Hehe kidding
Rob Deans

Rob
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to Debate, Quiz and Competition Forum