Chinese mamushi

This section is for debates, Quizzes and Competitions. Please keep the debates clean, no name calling, etc. Have fun!
Check back often to see the latest Competitions and progress thereof.

Chinese mamushi

Postby Contortrix » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 pm

Gloydius blomhoffi

Contortrix
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:24 pm

I see you are forcefeeding the snake and it is not a baby either. Try spreading some (non toxic) frog slime or lizards tail on the pinks, or fuzzies. Hopefully then you will not have to get so close to the sharp end.

You can also use a big piece of sponge to pin the snake and then force feed him while he is flat in a more natural position.

Try getting some round nosed tweezers too because those you have can cause bad punctures in the pink or the snake.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Contortrix » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:20 pm

Bushviper

Thanks for the advise. Sadly i no longer have them in my posession i sold most of my venomous snakes when my doughter was about to be born. But i'm slowly building up my venomous snake collection along with some non venomous reptiles again. I had 12 (i think) mamushi and four of them would not eat on their own. I repeted this procedure once a week for about 2 months and all started to feed on their own in the end. I did try the sponge method and still use it from time to time but with this species i felt more secure pinning them behind the neck. A very nice and interesting species that i'm waiting to buy some CB 07 offspring in a while.

Cheers, Ronny
Contortrix
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:31 pm

Yip this is just advice and the nice thing about advice is that you can also choose to ignore it.

I hope you manage to get really safe cages so as not to be a threat to the family and then get back into venomous snakes.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Contortrix » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:08 pm

I allways use safe enclosures, both for venomous snakes and non venomous. Juveniles are kept in double enclosures with locks on the sliding doors. Media in Sweden take any chans to attack the reptileowners and a snake on the run is to them like candy to a child. Over the last years there has been several incidents regarding venomus snakes on the loose and there has been some talking about banning venomous reptiles in Sweden.

So all enclosures should be as safe as they can be to prevent any escapes venomous or not.

Cheers, Ronny
Contortrix
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Debate, Quiz and Competition Forum