Saving the animals we love

If you provide educational talks at schools, functions, shows, etc, you can list your details here. This section is also for discussions on various philosophies, etc, as everyone teaches differently and has different beliefs. This applies to Reptiles only. If you would like to open a topic for debate, please do so in the debate forum.

Saving the animals we love

Postby Alan Hyde » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:12 pm

Trying to make Joe public warm to snakes has always been difficult. In reality if we are honest time will run out for most species before we get there.
People like Steve Irwin have done a great job in the compasion area , but once again this will never get to everyone.
I personaly believe the only way to save snakes is by letting the human race know that snakes can save them.
I have asked this question many times and only got dribs and drabs of information, but I realy would like to compile a list that can be quoted during educational talks.
I have noticed how attitudes change once I state that the species so many people loathe may infact one day save theirs or somebody they knows life.

So, Where is venom being used in the medical proffesion?
I have a 'maybe' for berus venom and artheritis. I once read about research into copperhead venom being used to treat/ prevent/ contain breast cancer, but never heard anything else and do not know if it is true
Any others?
Once people know how valuable these creatures are they may start to realise how important it is they be preserved

Al
Alan Hyde
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Saving the animals we love

Postby Iggy » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:47 pm

Perry's Bridge Reptile Park
Hazyview, Mpumalanga
"Through Inspiration Comes Conservation"
http://www.snakes-uncovered.com
FIND US ON FACEBOOK!
Iggy
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Saving the animals we love

Postby Alan Hyde » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:00 pm

Hey Iggy, thanks alot for your reply and help :D . Will have a read in the morning as all i've done today is herps herps herps , I can see that scowling look on my wife's face :lol:

All the best,
Al
Alan Hyde
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Educational Talks