They're not all bad

If you provide educational talks at schools, functions, shows, etc, you can list your details here. This section is also for discussions on various philosophies, etc, as everyone teaches differently and has different beliefs. This applies to Reptiles only. If you would like to open a topic for debate, please do so in the debate forum.

They're not all bad

Postby Rob » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:59 pm

On another topic Rishaad mentioned an Educational talk he did recently, it happened to be at Heartlands, a company which owns alot of property at the AECI complex in Umbogintwini.
Ive been called to the complex numerous times and removed Green Mambas, Boomslang, 1 Mozambique spitter and the usual Night adders and Bushsnakes.
Anyway as a result of Rishaads talk, they called him this morning for a "Green mamba" which he forwarded on to me since I live out here. Long story short, it was a nice big (almost 5ft) male Boomslang.
My point though is that this company have a policy whereby no animals may be killed, despite the office having to be evacuated they went out of their way to contact a "professional" who could assist without killing the snake.
They have a nature reserve within the complex where they insisted I release the snake, which I did. And refreshingly, they asked what they owe me for my time. When I told him he asked for a day to process the paperwork and he would call me when I could collect.
I really got the feeling that although it was policy, even the individuals were happy the snake wasnt killed, it really was nice to see.

Good job Rishaad, they spoke highly of you so you clearly made an impression.
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Re: They're not all bad

Postby Bushviper » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:03 pm

This what it is all about. Education is the key to our future. Nice going.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Re: They're not all bad

Postby Rishaad » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:31 pm

Thanks Rob for the compliment and also for going out there. Even though you were having a busy morning you still sacrificed your time so good on you man. It's a pity I could not be there with you as I got back to work today after a month of short time and was just told to go home again and we will know in 2 weeks whether we still have jobs here. The tension here is extremely high. Well, you made an impression too as I was told you handled the snake very gracefully even though it wanted a piece of you quite badly. Hopefully in a few years I will have the experience and finesse to handle dangerous snakes as comfortably as you guys and girls. BV, I agree with you whole heartily and with time and patience we can change the mindsets.
And God has Created every animal from water, of them are some creeping on their bellies, some walk on two legs, and some on four. God Creates what He wills, for sure God has Power over all things. (Noble Quran 24:45)

For Goodness Snakes
www.forgoodnesssnakes.co.za
Rishaad
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Educational Talks