Hognose or Copperhead??

Snakes exotic to South Africa with venoms that are considered to be medically important.

View Gallery

Hognose or Copperhead??

Postby Pit Viper » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:35 am

I would like to start keeping mildly venomous snakes but something that can not kill me if the animal bites any idea on what to keep???

Thanks
Andre
Any reptile killer is no friend of mine
Pit Viper
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Hognose or Copperhead??

Postby Serpy » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:50 am

Well the easiest to find and the cheapest of the 2 would probably be the copperhead. But the bite is nothing to be sneezed at, its extremely painful ! If you do get bitten i'm sure you'll think twice about keeping venomous snakes after that...
A good burper is a good herper.
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pit Viper » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:51 am

Well im sure it would be painful but can it kill me??
Pit Viper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fredsmith » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:05 am

I stand to be corrected, but you can never be sure of exactly how your body is going to react.
I got bitten by a nightadder a few years back. Now everyone'll tell you that a bite from a nightie isn't serious and isn't life threatening. BUT as it turned out I'm allergic to a protein in their vemon. The anaphylactic shock nearly put my lights out.
PS - Hurt like hell.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Buck Rogers » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:19 am

I know it sounds lame, but keep a redlip for a while (1 year) and treat it like a venomous, handle it with a hook and every time you get tagged think that could either be a bad hospitalisation or one hell of a medical bill!!!

I say a redlip cause in all fairness it is mildly venomous but doesn't pack the same venom as an pit viper (copper head), don't forget just because a copperhead is mildly venomous it still is cytotoxic* (bites can cause swelling, local tissue injury, abnormally low blood pressure, lack of blood clotting and general pain in all limbs). But never the less Copperheads are hands down one of the most attractive venomous species!

* I may be wrong about this, please wait for the more knowledgeable members to respond.
Life is a beautiful struggle
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Nasicornis » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:22 am

Copperheads can be quite potent and I was unfortunate enoguh to take a bite from a 1m female about 9 years back. Was not fun and would not recommend getting bitten. Bare in mind any venomous animal can kill you if the circumstances are "right". Venom is a foregin product introduced into your system and your system may very well react extremeley violent to it. In the wrong person, herald snakes may be just as deadly as mambas to others. The chances of being allergic are slim but they do exist and should be kept in mind. You don't want a snake that can't kill you, you want to gain enough experience to hopefully not take a bite. Get an adult wild caught mole snake and handle if without getting bitten for some time. If you handled wild mole snakes for more than a year without taking a bite, then go for it. Or just get something you like and see where it takes you. It is really up to you and what you decide will remain your responsibility. I (and we) can not decide for you and can only give our personal and somwhat educated opinions.
No dangerous reptiles, only dangerous keepers
Nasicornis
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Serpy » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:56 pm

I agree with the mole snake idea, keep a little chart on the cage to remind you of the consequences everytime you get bitten...
A good burper is a good herper.
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Buck Rogers » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:46 pm

I agree, that is a good idea but besides the fact that you wouldn't really wanna get some stitches from a mole snake, there is no real risk of getting bitten, so subconsciously you wont really treat it with as much "respect" as you would a venomous... does that make sense? I think that once you know something has venom you are more careful because you know that you always have to be alert and on the ball.
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Nasicornis » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:19 pm

True, although my retic male tends to get more concentration out of me than any of my elapids, but then again that might just be me not wanting to go to the emergency room for "small" stitches.
No dangerous reptiles, only dangerous keepers
Nasicornis
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Buck Rogers » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:35 pm

True, although my retic male tends to get more concentration out of me than any of my elapids, but then again that might just be me not wanting to go to the emergency room for "small" stitches.

Touché :D
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fredsmith » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:44 pm

Buck Rogers wrote: But never the less Copperheads are hands down one of the most attractive venomous species!

Hognoses have a cuteness factor working for them...
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Buck Rogers » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:48 pm

cotton mouths are also cuties=)
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fredsmith » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:52 pm

True. No aguement there.
They're a bit like dogs.. They get so happy to see people they even wag their tails.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:35 am

The american Crofab antivenom is also used for the treatment of Copperhead bites. There have not been any lethal accounts for many years but this might also be because Wyeth Antivenom was also used for these bites and today the new antivenom is used rather routinely for cytotoxic bites especially where the identification is not confirmed but the symptoms warrant it.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Pit Viper » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:55 am

Thanks for all the advice guys. I do want a redlip but we can not keep them im MP
Pit Viper
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Exotic highly venomous snakes