Venom comparison with,white lip,eyelash viper,and bush viper

Snakes exotic to South Africa with venoms that are considered to be medically important.

View Gallery

Venom comparison with,white lip,eyelash viper,and bush viper

Postby iluvsnakes » Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:45 pm

Hi,is the venom from eyelash vipers similar to white lip vipers? Or is it weaker or stronger?
And is bush viper venom stronger than white lip venom?
iluvsnakes
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Re: Venom comparison with,white lip,eyelash viper,and bush v

Postby it_bit_me » Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:47 pm

Sorry but all those snakes would take you apart. The bushviper has killed a child and the eyelash(indo) will be about the same.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:50 pm

A bite from an whitelipp is still not something you will get over without medical help. Just cause they are plentiful and cheap doesn't make them a starter snake. Petshop-boys will obviously convince you otherwise.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby iluvsnakes » Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:07 pm

Yeah,I have white lips at the moment,but Im also very interested in those eyelash vipers!The bright yellow ones are real stunners!!
iluvsnakes

Postby it_bit_me » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:32 am

You were talking about the South American eyelash...
I don't know about those but the Indonesian eyelash gives a extremely painful bite. The same for a white lip. The swelling will last three days or more.

They are very beautiful though so I understand why you're interested. You ought to see most at the next expo.
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby iluvsnakes » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:06 pm

By the way,when is the next expo in gauteng?
iluvsnakes

Postby Bushviper » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:19 pm

Any of those snakes have the potential to kill you. You could come off it lightly or possibly not. Rather just make sure that your cages are built in such a way that the snakes do not get an opportunity to bite you. Using the correct tools will also go a long way. Even experienced keepers with more than 20 years experience have been tagged by these snakes in the last year. Its not a joke.

The next decent expo in Gauteng will be in May at Emperors Palace.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Serpent » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:07 pm

@Bushviper: Please eloborate on the build of the cages. I have many juvenile arboreal vipers, some are getting quite large now and I almost got tagged when feeding the other day. The bigger ones are all in Exotera glass type enclosures, smaller ones in tubs.
Serpent
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:08 pm

Serpent build narrow deep cages with a branch which is positioned one third from the top and one third from the back of the cage. Place the water bowl just under the branch in a cup holder the same size as the water bowl. When you need to clean the water bowl you place a perspex shield (which has a handle in the centre) right under the perch and against the roof in front and the wall at the back. That way you can isolate the snake in that area and remove the water bowl (or replace it if the bowls are disposable) and then you can also clean any droppings on the ground while you are busy. You can even make it slide in a groove against the side.

If the snake is on the ground the same concept applies except that you have a groove which isolates an area which is only a few centimetres high so that you can clean the perch or the water bowl. If the snake is on the ground and you have clean some regurged mouse or faeces on the ground then you use the shield to split the cage in half diagonally and that way you can get to the mess. It is so simple it is strange that more people do not use this method.

There are other techniques as well for other venomous snakes but it is easier to demonstrate this than explain it. I do cover this on the husbandry course.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Serpent » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:39 pm

Thanks Bushviper!
Serpent
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Boskobra » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:03 pm

I will place a picture of the perspex shield I builded, works like a dream!
"Winners are losers who got up and gave it one more try. "

Eben Keet
Boskobra
SA Reptiles Member

Postby agung » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:43 pm

I dont know about the schlegs envenomation, but in here (Indonesia) white lip viper will give you pain in the ass and many people dont have a chance to get medical treatment..lucky me then. Same like the our eyelash, even juvenile bite will get you in introuble but too bad there was no good documentation about the victim here as most of all are from remote area.
1.1 Tropidolaemus Wagleri
1.1 Tropidolaemus Subannulatus (Borneo)
2.5 Tropidolaemus Subannulatus (Sulawesi)
0.1 Tropidolaemus Philipinensis
4.3 Trimeresurus Puniceus
0.1 Trimeresurus Borneensis
0.0.1 Agkistrodon contortrix
1.1 Vipera Ammodytes
0.1 Crotalus Terrficus Durrisus
7.4.2 Morelia Viridis
0.0.1 Ophiopagus Hannah
1.0 Leiopython Albertisi
0.1 Leiopython Hoserae
0.0.1 Morelia Clastolephis
1.0 Morelia Amethistina