Snakeroom flooring.

Snakes exotic to South Africa with venoms that are considered to be medically important.

View Gallery

Snakeroom flooring.

Postby Serpent » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:20 am

Hello everyone.

I have recently acquired a female caucasin, she is in great condition, eats well, but can be quite aggressive at times. LOL.

Due to this I am going to have to move my snakes down to my vacant servants quarters.
The floor is screeted only, and I was wondering what the vetrans would recommend as the best surface for a snakeroom floor.
Bearing in mind that I am in PMB, where it gets very cold in winter, so something that insulates as well.
I will also be putting insulation in the ceiling, and will be sealing up the doors and windows, just in case I have an escape artist.
My current snakeroom floor is carpeted, not so practical, but very nice to have especially for when a snake gets dropped, and for warmth.

Many thanks.
Serpent
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Snakeroom flooring.

Postby Westley Price » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:30 am

I don't have a dedicated snake room, but I often imagine how I would construct one.

I always come to the conclusion that I'd like indstrial rubber tiles as flooring.

They are good for insulation, cleaning and they are supposedly very easy to install yourself.

Here is a link to some options:

http://www.tuffloors.co.za/
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby bradmiller » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:34 am

I agree that's what I will be using in my new snake room.
You know, you can touch a stick of dynamite, but if you touch a venomous snake it’ll turn around and bite you and kill you so fast it’s not even funny.
- Steve Irwin - The Crocodile Hunter
bradmiller
SA Reptiles Member

Postby michael » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:05 am

Hi mate. Congratulations on the new acquisition. Female Caucasians can be temperamental! A good practice with these is to stop collecting once you have one, they can become more aggressive that a black mamba if they sense you may be looking at acquiring any new females!! :lol:

As for the flooring I think Westley’s idea is probably the way to go.
Michael Burmeister
Psalm 115 v 1
michael
Forum gatekeeper

Postby kinghero » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:15 am

What am I missing here? Did you get a snake or a girlfriend ? :?: :smt017 :shock: :D
kinghero
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpent » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:52 am

LOL! Yes a girlfriend, and her kid, instant family. Therefore I must vacate my snakes out of the spareroom, in case "visitors want to stay over". So busy working on me new snakeroom / mancave.
Serpent
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpent » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:55 am

Thanks Westley.
Serpent
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kinghero » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:03 pm

O HAHA I see. ur lucky, I only get a man drawer.
kinghero
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bjorn » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:50 pm

Nice addition! I wouldn't have space for a man/snake cave so when one comes around she will have to deal with mambas and the rest.LOL

I fixed up a room a few years ago and was sure I made a post of it on this forum but now I can't find it. I used vinyl/rubber flooring that just rolls out. You can get it as Builders Warehouse. I saw some just the other day. I have wooden floors so that good for temps. I also insulated the roof, so this room is perfect.

Only problem with the floors that you assemble is that they are very costly.
Regards
Bjorn
Reptilia Traders cc
http://www.reptiliatraders.co.za
Bjorn
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Exotic highly venomous snakes