To breed or not to breed...

Snakes exotic to South Africa with venoms that are considered to be medically important.

View Gallery

To breed or not to breed...

Postby Serpent » Thu May 31, 2012 9:06 am

I have a pair of now adult pair of trimeresurus stejnegeri, or Chinese bamboo pit verpers, is there any point in breeding them?
Would anyone be interested in them, or are there already too many in circulation?
I have a pair of white lips which I will not be breeding with as, I believe that there are just too many around.
Not to mention what a mission it is to rear them.
Serpent
SA Reptiles Member

Re: To breed or not to breed...

Postby Amphibian » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:56 pm

I admire you confidence. I have been trying to breed V.stejnegeri for three years now - Henan China Locality.
If you breed them I am sure you will sell the babies, there is not many quality CB Stej available in SA. The real concern with breeding these would be people mixing them with Albolorbris.
"When dealing with people, let us remember we are not dealing with creatures of logic.
We are dealing with creatures of emotion, creatures bustling with prejudice and motivated by pride and vanity" – Dale Carnegie
Amphibian
SA Reptiles Member

Re: To breed or not to breed...

Postby Serpent » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:08 pm

Hi Amphibian. I did not realise there was a demand for them, have had quite a few enquirys. I also did not know they were difficult to breed, had em since they were tiny. I have separated them and am cooling down the male. According to a study that I read they mate in winter??? Where are you based bud?
Serpent
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Exotic highly venomous snakes