Arboreal vipers.

Snakes exotic to South Africa with venoms that are considered to be medically important.

View Gallery

Arboreal vipers.

Postby Antman » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:35 pm

Golden eye lashes and Indonisian eyelash viper.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Antman
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Arboreal vipers.

Postby imperial exotix » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:58 pm

Stunning bud!
If I ever start keeping hots arboreal vipers will be the way!
imperial exotix
SA Reptiles Member

Postby wadekilian » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:00 pm

Nice man. I can't wait to get my pair of B. schlegelii's.
073 815 4741
BBM - 296fe3c5
wadekilian@yahoo.com
wadekilian
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kfc223 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:02 am

Those are some very nice schlegs!
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bradmiller » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:25 pm

Looking good mate!
You know, you can touch a stick of dynamite, but if you touch a venomous snake it’ll turn around and bite you and kill you so fast it’s not even funny.
- Steve Irwin - The Crocodile Hunter
bradmiller
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Crash » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:21 pm

Very nice :smt007
Crash
SA Reptiles Member

Postby venomking » Thu May 09, 2013 12:51 pm

Hi
Nice looking schlegs if have recently bought a small neonate and i am still struggling to feed it its a male but seems it doesn't want to eat i have tried slapping him on the tail and head to get a strike or any aggression out of him but nothing the only thing he does is open his mouth for a few seconds and i then push the pinks thigh or head in its mouth and he then spits it out
Please help ... the only thing i now know what to do is to force the pinky head/thigh in his mouth using 2 sponges to keep him in one place ..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
venomking
SA Reptiles Member

Postby wadekilian » Thu May 09, 2013 2:17 pm

Just carry on trying ey. If you 'slap' him too hard he'll probably focus more on freeing that anything else. It just needs to be an irritating touch on the tail / the side of his face.
073 815 4741
BBM - 296fe3c5
wadekilian@yahoo.com
wadekilian
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Thu May 09, 2013 7:10 pm

As an last resort you can feed him an gecko you caught. Forcefeeding young snakes can end badly for the snake, most don't handle the stress well.
I have seen many an snake that refused to eat until it was given it's prefered food. From there they went on as normal. I have never thought about the WC pests issue as it is always only for one or two feeds before the snake switches. The important part was just to get the snake's stomach juices going again. They go into an "slump" when transported or stressed. The gecko ,frog or bird is there to make him happy enough to go ahead with his normal food.
Take out your real tree twig and just use the twig on its own. If you have to go in there every few days the snake won't appreciate it.
This advice works for me because I have never been able to tease feed an animal.
I believe that any animal willing to be tease fed is hungry enough to eat on its own .
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpent » Thu May 09, 2013 11:51 pm

I would steer clear of anything but mice, it can be near impossible sometimes to get snakes off geckos. Try assist feeding first with day old pinky heads, as put the pinky head into its mouth, gently put the snake down and step out of sight, they will often carry on eating it. If not force feed, dip the pinky head in water and get it down properly the first time, I usually help it down a cm or two with a swizzle stick. You may have to do this for a few weeks, but it should perk and start eating alone.

I notice you are using Carlton roll which was my biggest mistake, I lost 3 eyelash vipers due to them dehydrating. I could not work out what was wrong with them. The following year I got 3 more and they were sick within a month, this was when I worked out what was wrong...the substate! Get coco-nut husk! It triples on size when hydrated and holds lots of moisture without being soggy and wet. Keep them warm and humid, no need to winter them.

Baby vipers are lots of work, but are worth it.
Serpent
SA Reptiles Member

Postby venomking » Fri May 10, 2013 8:23 am

Hi guys, thanks for all the great information Serpent. Thanks for the reply, the photo was taken when I first got him, I transferred him to a small glass cage and a use coco-nut husk mixed with a little bit of peat moss. Interesting about the paper towel thing never thought it could have any problems as it is the cleanest way of keeping your snakes.

I am in close contact with Louis now so ill give him a call when all else fails. I will post the first feeding when it happens.
venomking
SA Reptiles Member

some random pics

Postby venomking » Mon May 27, 2013 12:54 pm

Just some of my collection Hope you guys injoy them as much as I do . :D
venomking
SA Reptiles Member

Postby venomking » Mon May 27, 2013 12:55 pm

and the angry one
venomking
SA Reptiles Member

Postby wadekilian » Wed May 29, 2013 5:35 pm

How's your Eyelash doing with regards to feeding?

My Mangroves aren't the friendliest either, haha. Love them to bits though :-)

P.S I think you should increase the size of his prey a little bit.
073 815 4741
BBM - 296fe3c5
wadekilian@yahoo.com
wadekilian
SA Reptiles Member

Postby venomking » Thu May 30, 2013 9:15 am

Hi wadekilian he's doing great he finally took a pinky leg so I am glad took about an hour but worth it tough .
yes the mangrove is not eating pinks haha that was only the rest of the pink that I had cut up for the eyelash I feed hi jumpers ,figured don't want to waste some
thanks for the message
venomking
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Exotic highly venomous snakes