My Boxer

Anything other than a reptile or any other category covered on this forum.

My Boxer

Postby psychofox » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:49 pm

This is my dog, named Balder. He's a German Boxer, close to six years old now. Is this breed often seen in South Africa?

psychofox
SA Reptiles Member

Re: My Boxer

Postby Bushviper » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:59 am

If I am not mistaken we even have a specific Boxer club for this breed here. I see them quite often so they should be fairly popular.

In the past I know they used to dock the tails and often even crop the ears. This is illegal now if I remember correctly.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Quintin » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:24 am

Nice Boxer...

I have been going through the clssifieds lately as i am looking for a Sporting dog for wingshooting, like Weimaraner or a pointer... I see plenty of Boxer breeders in the papers and on the net. They are stunning!!!

Q
Quintin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bernice » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:45 pm

OOH OOH! Quintin! German short haired pointer if you can get one! brilliant dogs!

Sorry... Im just a little biased... I had a german short hair and it was the most AWSOME animal... ;)
They are described as the ultimate allrounder... They were bred to be the german hunters 'swiss army knife' they can point, track, flush, retrieve and toll equally well, and have even been used in a pack scenario like foxhounds usually are. They love the water, are very intelligent and willing to please, are low maintenance, and make a great family pet when the works over...

Sorry... tirade over :-D
Happiness is a fat mouse and a warm rock!

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Quintin » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:51 pm

Haha Thanks Bernice..

I think i will go with a German Short Hair... They are brilliant!!!

Q
Quintin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby katesmith » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:43 pm

we have a german shorthairXweimeraner. She definetly has more than one screw loose. Every pup of the litter was returned. She's cost us thousands in random damages already and she has a HUGE yard and enrichment. I'll never have one again to be honest.
katesmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby katesmith » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:45 pm

oh and are german Boxers and boxer's the same breed?
katesmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fredsmith » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:57 pm

Quintin wrote:I think i will go with a German Short Hair... They are brilliant!!!

We had a GSP about ten year or so back, and they are awesome.
Turned out to be one of the best gun-dogs I've ever had. They're faster than any Labrador, in the wet or on the dry. They're also very goods with youngsters like their cousins the Labrador and are very very clever. I'm not a fan of the Weimeraner as a sporting dog... They're a lot more of a boistrous animal(IMO), and training doesn't come as naturally as the GSP or Labrador, besides... those eyes are just freaky... Kinda like the tongue of a chow... freaky.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby psychofox » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:35 pm

katesmith wrote:oh and are german Boxers and boxer's the same breed?

Yes, it is the same breed. However, the boxers from continental Europe are a bit stockier in both body and headshape than the British and American lines. And generally, breeders in continental Europe also emphasizes working abilities more than their British and American counterparts, but even in Europe the breed as a whole must be viewed as mainly a show breed. A bit sad in my opinion.
psychofox
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Other Pets