Ferrets?

Anything other than a reptile or any other category covered on this forum.

Re: Ferrets?

Postby Bushviper » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:50 am

The black list of animals for Gauteng is basically the Ferret, Nutria, Bob Tailed Quail, Chukar partridge and all exotic tortoises, terrapins and turtles.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby jhopley » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:51 am

Ferrets are available in South Africa within the Ferret lover community as there are people who are not afraid of the "legality" issues and who are fighting to keep up good quality stock of these wonderful and highly domesticated pets (under the radar so to speak!). It is said that Ferrets became domesticated pets even before cats!

It is interesting that fertile Ferrets are still being legally imported into South Africa (legal loophole or corrupt officials?) Also, while the European Pole Cat is not on the black list, they are practically identical to the Ferret. This is just another example of poor legislature.

I currently have baby ferrets on the way, expected date of birth 22/01/2014! They should be ready to go to new homes in March 2014.

This is no scam. Both parents (my Bonny and Clyde) are available to view. Once I've satisfied myself that you are a suitable candidate to adopt one of my babies, I'll be happy to keep you informed and you would be able to collect your baby Ferret without having to fork out a deposit etc. Depending on demand at the time, they will be worth between R4500 - R6000 each.

There are a lot of scams out there w.r.t to many exotics, so please be careful!
jhopley
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Tarka » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:51 pm

They are very similar in appearance, but show differences in behavioural patterns. Go to http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... x/abstract
Python regius

1.1.0 Yellow Belly
1.5.0 Normal
1.1.0 Piebald
1.0.0 Crystal
0.1.0 Bumblebee
0.1.0 Pewter
0.1.0 Fire
0.1.0 Mojave
0.1.0 Pinstripe
1.0.0 Het Albino
1.0.0 Enchi
1.0.0 Axanthic (VPI)
1.0.0 Black Pastel
1.0.0 Coral Glow Pastel

Leopard Geckos

Tarka
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:03 pm

The ferrets that are available in South Africa have all been smuggled in are all illegal. They are here and even if the owners do not care about the legal issues nor do any of the drug dealers who sell dope. They are not legal in KZN where they get landed illegally nor are they legal in Limpopo province where they are then sold on to Gauteng where they are also illegal.

If you get caught with ferrets they will take them away and put them to sleep and you will either be looking at a fine or jail time or both. The laws are very clear about this.

Rather fight the laws before you get the ferrets than try to force the hands of authorities after you have them illegally.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby westgabby » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:37 am

I know this is a very late reply on this topic, but best way iv worked out scams r by telling the seeler to place the animal on a piece of paper with my name on it and some extra details. But who has info on what will happen if found with a ferret in ur home?
westgabby
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kfc223 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:10 pm

westgabby wrote:I know this is a very late reply on this topic, but best way iv worked out scams r by telling the seeler to place the animal on a piece of paper with my name on it and some extra details. But who has info on what will happen if found with a ferret in ur home?

As BV said in the previous post

bushviper wrote:If you get caught with ferrets they will take them away and put them to sleep and you will either be looking at a fine or jail time or both. The laws are very clear about this.
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Postby calculus3232 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:07 am

I need some information as to keeping a ferret as a pet as well as where I can source one from a reputable breeder
Can anyone assist?
calculus3232
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:07 pm

calculus3232 wrote:I need some information as to keeping a ferret as a pet as well as where I can source one from a reputable breeder
Can anyone assist?

Read this.....

Bushviper wrote:The ferrets that are available in South Africa have all been smuggled in are all illegal. They are here and even if the owners do not care about the legal issues nor do any of the drug dealers who sell dope. They are not legal in KZN where they get landed illegally nor are they legal in Limpopo province where they are then sold on to Gauteng where they are also illegal.

If you get caught with ferrets they will take them away and put them to sleep and you will either be looking at a fine or jail time or both. The laws are very clear about this.

Rather fight the laws before you get the ferrets than try to force the hands of authorities after you have them illegally.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby NinjaMunki » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:58 am

I have 1 female available. she is currently 5 weeks old and massive for her age.
She is eating solids and her eyes are about to open.
FYI Ferrets are 100% legal in KZN and Eastern Cape. In Gauteng they need to be fixed.
No longer on the prohibited list... Yes they have come here illegally, but our government is realizing they hold no threat to out local meerkats.

Message me if you are interested in my baby Jill (female)
NinjaMunki
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Other Pets