Book reviews

Suggest a new board or feature for the forum. Share your ideas on how we can make SAReptiles the best and most user friendly forum possible.

Book reviews

Postby damiensharjah » Mon May 12, 2008 9:44 pm

So often I hear of a particular book through word of mouth, order it, and find myself referring to it all the time.

The problem is that many of the really good books are poorly publicised and largely unknown. It would be excellent to start a thread under the title of 'Book reviews' for forum members to add their comments on recently acquired books for the benefit of the rest of us.

What do the moderators think?
damiensharjah
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob » Mon May 12, 2008 11:26 pm

Seems the moderators do not think Damien ;)
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue May 13, 2008 8:44 am

Nope they are not thinkers!

Damien we have to be very consumer friendly and also be kind to the people who have gone to the trouble of authoring some book about reptiles.

We would have numerous different opinions about any given book. I have many books I really use a lot which other people feel are outdated and other newer books just dont feel right to me so they have been donated to others.

With the reptile community being so small and politics and alienation being a big part of the splintering effect we are undergoing this would have to be approached with caution.

My personal opinion is that if we could get books reviews from other websites and publishers and then place them here with some comments that might be better.

To give you an idea how tastes vary the television series by Attenborough called "Life in Cold Blood" has just been cancelled in the US. It seems there was not enough interest to justify the broadcasting costs. The DVD is still selling well though so it cannot be rubbish and I would like the DVD myself.

If we just look at the differences in opinion about presenters of reptile related shows in the other thread it will tell you what sort of spit storm we will be looking at if we start reviewing books.

The credibility of the person doing the review is also going to be brought into question so I doubt we will have too many hands raised when we ask for people to do the reviews.

What might be a better idea is before buying a book ask what others thought of the book and then anyone with problems or praise can voice their opinion.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby froot » Tue May 13, 2008 8:45 am

Ha ha, this mod has lost his internet at home, Iburst is the biggest load of cr@p you can spend your money on, waiting for adsl.
I'm cool with the idea.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue May 13, 2008 8:52 am

Lets just say that we could make a list of books that we would recommend and why, and in that way we cannot be held accountable for the crappy books out there.

I for one would never give up my Bill Branch field guide book as a reference despite attempts to update this field they have not done what I personally want.

I hope Don Broadley decides that we have raised enough money for him to update the Fitzsimons big bible again.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby froot » Tue May 13, 2008 9:13 am

I hope Don Broadley decides that we have raised enough money for him to update the Fitzsimons big bible again.

That would be.... awesome!! (hint)
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby damiensharjah » Tue May 13, 2008 9:30 am

I get where you're coming from BV. I guess if it was restricted to: "I just got this book and it was brilliant for 'x' application. It would have been nice though if 'y' was included etc. etc.)

Agreed on Bills field guide (He's updating it presently by the way) and doubly agreed on FitzSimons.

As you say, some really old publications offer useful reading regardless. Isomonger, for example, has good behavioural stuff, although most people wouldn't take this old book seriously. If someone did a 'light' review of it and it's application, it would give those who saw it in a 2nd hand bookshop but ignored it for fear of being obselete, a little info on the book.

Maybe a 'Books I'd recommend' thread would be better.
damiensharjah
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue May 13, 2008 6:46 pm

Okay Damien you can have the honour if starting a thread called "Books I would recommend and why".

Just do not mention that one about the Arabian reptiles because I think the author might be a bit dodgy and nobody here has managed to get the book yet!!! It is getting a good response on the auction though so possibly that is promising!

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby damiensharjah » Tue May 13, 2008 8:12 pm

Off the record I'd say that's a sh*t book. Silly turd hasn't got a clue!!

:smt098
damiensharjah
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed May 14, 2008 5:19 am

....... but it has pretty pictures......

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby boing » Wed May 14, 2008 9:13 am

I am very partial to Bill's books and am waiting (not always so patiently) for his new field guide. His new African Chelonian book appears good. So far I have only had the chance to page through it cos our librarian hasn't finished acsesioning it yet. I do know that it has reached the top 10 internationally and locally for non-fiction!! There is a photo of one of our Marsh terrapins hatching in it... They were the first animals that hatched after I started here so I think they are extra special!!
There is an art, or rather a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. ~ Douglas Adams, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
boing
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Suggestions And Technical Support