member location

Suggest a new board or feature for the forum. Share your ideas on how we can make SAReptiles the best and most user friendly forum possible.

member location

Postby Buck Rogers » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:57 am

Is there anyway that if a new member registers that they HAVE to enter their location/province. I think the older members are not a problem but new members who join the forum specifically to flog their stuff and don't put location irritates me cause it is a waste of time contacting some of these people.
Life is a beautiful struggle
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Re: member location

Postby Mitton » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:11 pm

GREAT question Buck, that is something that has been bothering me for a while as well.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Burmbuddy » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:35 pm

I agree.
Lets make it a rule.
Cheers
DAN
Psalms 144:1
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle.
Burmbuddy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Buck Rogers » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:38 pm

I know its not so much off an admin's fault as it is the members, but it would save a lot of energy when you get the "Can I keep a chameleon in my province?" questions.
Life is a beautiful struggle
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Cornelius » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:53 pm

Agreed Buck. Also if they can put Roodepoort instead of Gauteng.
There is something that is much more scarce, something finer by far , something rarer than ability.
It is the Ability to recognise Ability

http://www.facebook.com/pages/West-Rand-Herpetological-Association/125756994130804?v=photos#!/pages/West-Rand-Herpetological-Association/125756994130804
Cornelius
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:49 pm

We got people who also wrote "somewhere on the internet" when we had it as a compulsory field. Possibly we can re-instate it and then just delete members who do not fill it in correctly. I also have a major problem with it. I will not offer to help someone with a specific problem if I dont know where he is. If I know he lives nearby I can go and meet up with him.

I will take this up with the other moderators.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby paul » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:07 pm

I have seen other forums that require you to register with your fullname and surname. If you don't you can not access the forum. I like this, because you know who you are dealing with and people are more thought full when they are not hiding behind their alias.

Why do you want to hide your identity if you have got nothing to hide?
Paul.
REPTILES LOVE US! YOU WILL TOO!
http://www.thefeederfactory.co.za
paul
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Anneries » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Wont it be possible, to change the province option, at least, to a drop down box. where the users can only choose from one of the provinces ?? I don't know the structure of this forum's registration, how it is written, but it should be possible, to make it a mandatory field, and then the users can only choose from the drop down box. Without being able to enter some "funny", in their opinion, province.
Just my opinion.
1.1 Giant Ground Gecko
0.0.1 Bibron's Gecko
Anneries
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:39 am

We had compulsory location with the last software version, it was a mod we had to install. If you guys find mods for this for phpbb3+ please post a link. I'll look into it as well.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Return to Suggestions And Technical Support