Suggestion - Forum for Legal and Technical issues.

Suggest a new board or feature for the forum. Share your ideas on how we can make SAReptiles the best and most user friendly forum possible.

Suggestion - Forum for Legal and Technical issues.

Postby Van2 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:58 am

This post is mostly meant for the Administrators, but any inputs from other members would also be appreciated.

Can’t we have a separate section (forum) where members can get and post info on the latest legal and technical issues regarding reptile keeping and permit applications.

Laws regarding permits to import, export, keeping indigenous, transporting and transferring, catching indigenous etc. seem to be changing constantly. This causes heaps of confusion especially for beginners like me, and to make it even worse is the fact that every province has its own sets of legislation.

On the technical side – info on requirements that needs to be in place before any application is submitted etc.

I know there is a lot of data on these subjects on this forum, but searching through all the topics takes heaps of time and most of the info is outdated.

Links where members can download and print the relevant application forms would also help a lot.

I think if we can streamline these processes it will definitely encourage more keepers to go the legal road. I also think that all would agree that this would also save a lot of time and resources - not only for would be keepers, but for everyone involved.

Regards,
Van2
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Suggestion - Forum for Legal and Technical issues.

Postby Wolf777 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:36 pm

Sounds like a great idea, I believe that a lot of members including myself would benefit from this.
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby MV » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:19 pm

Negative thoughts, creates a negative mind. A negative mind, creates a negative person.
A negative person, creates a negative mood, which spoils the power of positivity...
Making room, for negative thoughts. - The Circle of Negativity by MV
MV
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushbaby » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:47 pm

Thanks for your suggestion Van2. We will look into this.
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby Van2 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:48 pm

MV - Yes, thanks it addresses some of the concerns above. Just would like have all info in one place and not be cluttered between herp club meetings and the other topics in this forum. The other concern is that only the most recent and updated data/info be available to alleviate any confusion. There is constant changes in the legislation and requirements, so advice in post even as recent as a couple of months ago, are no longer of any value.

Thanks for your response Bushbaby!
Van2
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:33 pm

I agree that it can be clarified a bit and more user friendly which would help with all the repetative questions being asked.

Incidently I have added web based download links for permitation that I could find here.
If they go stale let us know! Some of those sites are constantly changing.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby it_bit_me » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:11 pm

If the guys from Natcon want to reach a big audience this will work well. Just give them each a provincial thread and edit privileges. Also lock it.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:40 pm

That's fine IMO. If we can have a Natcon representative from each province so to speak that can keep us updated I'm sure many problems they and the public experience can be avoided.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Silvrav » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:51 pm

Per province will be awesome as its different for each Goverment. (hail our lovely system!)
Carpet Python - Morelia spilota cheynei
Silvrav
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:32 pm

I hope they don't make mistakes. ;)
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Van2 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:39 am

Froot - Thanks for the links you provided. If we can get Natcon's involvement that would really be great. Do you think they would be interested? I think it would make their lives a lot easier too.

NS. Don't forget the herp clubs as well. They would also play a vital role here.

it-bit-me - Thanks, that's a great suggestion!
Van2
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chamssss » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:21 pm

OK from what I can gather. Keeping any indegenous chameleons is 100% illegal unless you have permited Cb animals which came from a legit legal breeder who has them under permit which you will never come across.

Though there are more and more WC bradypodions popping up in the markets of Europe and the U.S, which is what confuses me when there is supposed to be strict laws on even keeping the animals let alone the exporting of them.
Chamssss
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Suggestions And Technical Support