sareptiles.co.za hogs my resources

Suggest a new board or feature for the forum. Share your ideas on how we can make SAReptiles the best and most user friendly forum possible.

sareptiles.co.za hogs my resources

Postby Slingshot » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:25 am

I have the habit of opening all the interesting threads in different tabs first, then start reading them. With other sites this works great and my pc handles it with no problem, and these sites are often much more graphic intensive (www.rcgroups.com for example).
However, when I open multiple tabs of sareptiles, my browser (Chrome) is VERY slow to respond and would often stall for several seconds. What is it that makes sareptiles so resource intensive?
Slingshot
SA Reptiles Member

Re: sareptiles.co.za hogs my resources

Postby froot » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:29 am

It's not on your side, I get it too. This site is on a shared offshore server and sometimes it becomes overloaded. Time for a pricey dedicated server is nigh. We are also exceeding our bandwidth limits for this hosting package and it's costing more anyway.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Slingshot » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:56 am

The thing is, it's not a problem of the pages loading slowly. They seem to load at a reasonable speed. The problem is that it slows down my browser to the point where it doesn't respond for a couple of seconds. I can't scroll, can't click new links, and as I said it works fine on other forums where there are often several large images in a post. It's the same as if you open too many pages on a pc with not enough RAM.
I was thinking there may be some scripts running in the background that stalls the browser for some reason, but not sure if that will be the case with normal forum software.
Last edited by Slingshot on Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slingshot
SA Reptiles Member

Postby @ndy » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:00 am

As froot said it has nothing to do with your browser, we all experience this problem, i am using Opera11.52 and IE9 and i also have the same issue on a Core i5 machine with 4gb Ram.
The problem is with the Host Provider, we had the same problem on our clubs forum and we decided to go with a different host and we have note had this problem since
http://www.reptitracker.co.za

0.1.0 Lampropeltis triangulum campbelli
1.1.4 Thamnophis marcianus
0.1.0 Lampropeltis getula getula
1.0.0 Lampropeltis getula californiae
@ndy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Slingshot » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:07 am

Ah ok I understand. I don't feel so alone anymore now. :-)
Slingshot
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Suggestions And Technical Support