A Suggestion

Suggest a new board or feature for the forum. Share your ideas on how we can make SAReptiles the best and most user friendly forum possible.

A Suggestion

Postby Colinh » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:00 pm

I would like to make a suggestion on the registration of new members to the forum. I would appreciate it if some basic data such as location, and perhaps ocupation be made mandatory if a new member registers. The reason is not to track member but many a time people would register and imediately post add's in the forum. You do not have any information of where they are based should you want to respond to a add. On a second thought, age would be important should wanted posts be placed for venomous reptiles by minors.
Colinh
SA Reptiles Member

Re: A Suggestion

Postby Nzyme » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:50 am

The location field will be nice in the Classifieds section.
1.0.0 Mojave
0.1.0 Spider
0.1.0 Pinstripe
1.0.0 Spider Het Axa
0.3.0 Normal
0.1.0 Axanthic
1.0.0 Yellowbelly
1.0.0 Cinnamon
0.1.0 Lemon Pastel
1.0.0 Ghost House snake
0.1.0 Albino House Snake
1.0.0 Brazilian Rainbow boa

Nikki du Toit
Nzyme
SA Reptiles Member

Postby najarw » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:20 am

Good Morning All
I think some people prefer privacy and that should be respected. If I'm interested in what someone has up for offer I pm them and ask where they are located.
As far as age is concerned, if guys want some thing they will lie to get it. If I sell venom I try to make sure the person has experiance but it's a difficult one because, as I said, they'll just lie if they need to. But I do understand your concern Colin.
najarw
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Smeegle » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:37 am

Colinh wrote:I would like to make a suggestion on the registration of new members to the forum. I would appreciate it if some basic data such as location, and perhaps ocupation be made mandatory if a new member registers. The reason is not to track member but many a time people would register and imediately post add's in the forum. You do not have any information of where they are based should you want to respond to a add. On a second thought, age would be important should wanted posts be placed for venomous reptiles by minors.

I totally agree. At least state what province you reside in.

I find nothing more irritating than getting emailed an advert that I may be interested in, but then seeing that there is no location listed in the advert. I then go to the effort of signing on to the site and looking up the user only to find that there is no location under the profile as well.

By that stage I am completely over it...
One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living. We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon instead of enjoying the roses that are blooming outside our windows today.
- Dale Carnegie
Smeegle
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:39 pm

The problem is that we get people putting their location as "somewhere on the internet" or "Mandela bridge" so that does not always help.

We can look into removing ads and insisting that the people put up their location if they want to post.

If they want to "operate undercover" the chances are you dont want to do business with them and they are actually not welcome on the forum. Its like answering a call from a "Private number" or opening your door to someone who has his finger over the peep hole. Usually very dodgy however I do understand that companies often dont show their numbers when they phone out because of it being routed through a single number.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Colinh » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:59 pm

Thank you BV. I am just fascinated with the fact that we have all the fields for the detail and nobody uses it. :) but agree at least for ad's it will assist. I am not expecting phone numbers because that could open another can of unwanted worms.
Colinh
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:32 pm

How about a drop-down list on each add choosing one of the provinces compulsory on each ad?

Just like the current "prefix" drop-down, but only compulsory.

The people can still remain "homeless" when posting in the forum, but each classifieds at least have a province.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Return to Suggestions And Technical Support