Breeders Subforum - Suggestion

Suggest a new board or feature for the forum. Share your ideas on how we can make SAReptiles the best and most user friendly forum possible.

Breeders Subforum - Suggestion

Postby JamesG » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:05 pm

Hi Guys,

I see a lot of posts on the forum asking about who reputable breeders are, where they can get certain reptiles etc. Would it not be a good idea to create a breeder directory on the forum? That way we can find and add reputable breeders with the push of a button! Included would be online reptile stores, pet shops (I have noticed this subforum) and private breeders. What do you think? :)

Cheers
James
1.0.0 Antaresia Childreni (Riptide)
JamesG
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Breeders Subforum - Suggestion

Postby leopardgecko » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:40 pm

I think its a prity good idea but the people in charge must agre.
Collection:
Leopard geckos X2, freckalz,finggy
R.I.P Ground gecko .missi
P.geitje x4 breading pairs x3 hatchlings
leopardgecko
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Herald_23 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:51 am

It could be a good idea but you will push out the smaller breeders who are looking to start out. Would you rather buy corns from Chantel or from a guy who has just started breeding corns? It won't really promote the smaller, amatuer breeders. Half and half
The lion does not fear the jackal
Herald_23
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:19 am

I agree with Herald here, a section promoting only the large breeders with negatively influence the smaller guys.

We are currently looking at getting a section where you can ask about advertising members, for example:

"Has anyone ever dealt with Herald_23? How is the quality of his animals? Any after-purchase service?"

Of course that also presents another problem with competitors bad-mouthing each other.

So we are investigating to see what will work best.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Kev » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:24 am

Herald_23 wrote:It could be a good idea but you will push out the smaller breeders who are looking to start out. Would you rather buy corns from Chantel or from a guy who has just started breeding corns? It won't really promote the smaller, amatuer breeders. Half and half

Agreed.

You also have the problem of deciding who the "reputable" breeders are.
I'm sure there are different opinions on that front.
Kev
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Herald_23 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:59 am

Westley, perhaps a reputation subsection of breeders? Something like Bid or Buy has. We can state the rules on that subsection (no slandering, hate speech etc). It will just be an outline who the good breeders are, and I think it will push out all these scammers. Anyone who wants to be registered as a breeder can ask the admin.
Herald_23
SA Reptiles Member

Postby JamesG » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:06 pm

Thank you for the comments. I completely understand what you're saying.

I like your idea Herald, anyone who would like to be a registered breeder, should go through all the admin. Though what were to happen if someone were to register, and only breed one clutch in a reasonable amount of time? This kind of determines reputable breeders, who have produced stunning and healthy snakes AND have the experience. Putting your name up there, and producing pleasing results, could indeed help beginner breeders with their reputation. Though inactivity for too long should result in deregistration.

Why put up a Reputable Breeders sub-section? This will obviously cause unfairness and result in the degrading of the beginners. Why not split the sections according to snake species (Venoumous; Non-Venoumous - Pythons and Boas; Vipers etc etc.) and list the breeders under there? Then each breeder will get a profile, illustrating the amount of eggs/clutches produced, their breeding pairs, morphs etc. This way, we can get an idea of their experience, and the quality of their clucthes.
We could also include testimonials? Though as Herald suggested, no slandering, hate speeches etc.

I guess we need to keep everything strict and proper. The admins do a great job when it comes to this, so it shouldnt be too hard if we keep our manners and respect on hand.
JamesG
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Herald_23 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:00 am

I agree. Perhaps a basic overview. Example:

Reptiles being bred
Next expected sale date
(and/or) any current specimens still for sale
Shipment sphere i.e: where specimens can be shipped to
Contact details

then below we could have buyer reviews and perhaps a sale rating either negative, satisfied or positive.
Herald_23
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:32 am

I will look into a rating system in the classifieds section for sellers where customers can rate sellers which can be seen as a row of up to 5 stars in his/her profile. Sellers must encourage buyers to rate them after a transaction has been completed.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby JamesG » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:20 pm

Indeed, that is a great idea guys :)
Any other thoughts?
JamesG
SA Reptiles Member

Postby lerikoen » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:27 pm

I think the idea of having the breeders register themselves in this section - and if they are inactive being removed - is a great idea. People starting out with their collections don't necessarily know who has a good reputation with breeding and might not make wise choices. I think having a section like this will be good for all involved - even the breeders who are starting out, because they have a platform to get started from when they feel ready.
lerikoen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Urucone » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:23 pm

I for one don't think it's a good idea, I know of one guy that helped me loads and has stunning animals but this year it's quite from his side, I haven't seen one of his adds another guy I know is a great breeder but he withdrew from this site due to interest in his stock,you can make a list with breeders and what they breed with a contact nr. like a vet with a contact nr, another problem is that there is a few guy's with imported stock, so you're going to end up with a list of snakes as long as a 25hour day or there's petstores that has ton's of different stock, I would've looked at something like change the colour of your'e forum name, problem is that every name on this forum will be coloured in different,

I say let things stay as they are.
as long as you keep quiet, no one will notice that your dumb
Urucone
SA Reptiles Member

Postby lerikoen » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:54 pm

@ Urucone - I understand the problem you raise with the amount of animals, but could their be a system in place where a breeder only lists animals that they have available, still incorporating the client rating system . And maybe in their profile they can have a space where they can mention animals that they work with and hope to produce with, or if it was a problematic breeding season for one of their particular animals and things like that. I don't know how something like this will effect pet shops as their stock varies from breeders.

Of course, breeders might have a different view.
lerikoen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Frank » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:31 am

I don"t know how many sareptiles forum users also visit the tarantulas.co.za forum. They make use of a subforum where buyers can post their experiences, be they good or bad, of buying from other forum members. As long as people search for the sellers thread before posting you end up with an easy to find reference point to review before buying from someone.
Please go have a look at my facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fs-Geckos/362339593874889
Frank
SA Reptiles Member

Postby JamesG » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:33 pm

Thanks for the replies

@Urucone, I'm a little confused with the issue you've brought up, could you elaborate?

So what I was trying to say with my previous post, the sub forum would look like this:

(Replace Pet Shop Directory with: "Breeders and Pet Shop Directory"

-Breeder Profiles

-Pet Shop Profiles

- Indigenous highly venomous snakes
- Adders
- Breeders/Pet Shops who breed this species <----------------------- And so on, maybe a little less detailed, but you get the point
- Cobras
- Breeders/Pet Shops who breed this species

-Indigenous mildly venomous snakes
- Snake Species
- Snake Species

-Indigenous fangless snakes
- Snake Species
- Snake Species

-Indigenous lizards
- Lizard Species
- Lizard Species

-Indigenous chelonians and crocodilians
- Species
- Species

-Exotic highly venomous snakes
- Snake Species
- Snake Species

-Exotic mildly venomous snakes
- Snake Species
- Snake Species

-Exotic fangless (harmless) snakes
- Snake Species
- Snake Species

-Exotic Lizards
- Lizard Species
- Lizard Species

-Exotic chelonians and crocodilians
- Species
- Species

-Pythons and Boas
- Snake Species
- Snake Species

NOTE: This is a "rough draft" just so you get the idea.

The whole situation needs to be assessed, to see whether its worth it.
So raising issues, advantages, whether its possible and at the end of the day, maybe a members poll, we would be able to see whether it could work. Have any of the admin something to say?

I hugely appreciate all the replies and feedback !
JamesG
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Suggestions And Technical Support