Breeders Subforum - Suggestion

Suggest a new board or feature for the forum. Share your ideas on how we can make SAReptiles the best and most user friendly forum possible.

Re: Breeders Subforum - Suggestion

Postby Urucone » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:53 pm

I don't know about other breeders but I for one will rather post the moment the stock is available, but to tell everyone I maybe bred ???????? this year, it's a waste of time, I'll rather place a add on classifieds what I have available, I just don't see a use for this. If you're worried about reputable breeders than rather ask admin to review adds before their posted, it will help with scams but it will bump small breeders out of the system. But if I sum up this whole topic it sounds like you want a website in a website, meaning there is a whole history of him/her and what they breed, it's a nice Idea, but each profile is going to need updating on a frequent basis and I do believe that a forum like this do cost a bit to keep running, now everyone want breeders to start their own mini website, it doesn't add up in a bussiness perspective, maybe if breeders are prepared to pay a certain amount each year then yes it could work.

a suggestion from my side is that admin can give a stamp of approval on a add, just to say it's okay to buy from this oak.I think that it's the easiest and simplest solution for now.
as long as you keep quiet, no one will notice that your dumb
Urucone
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Frank » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:35 am

Urucone, I agree with you about only posting an ad when stock is available and not advertising something that could be.

What I was suggesting is not a full webpage for each breeder, but simply a thread in a breeder/seller review subforum. In other words if you bought a gecko from me you would be encouraged to post in my thread as to your experience in dealing with me. In this way if i post an ad prospective buyers could go to the review section and search for my thread and decide based on other peoples feedback whether or not they would want to deal with me.

This would not have any negative effects on breeders, big or small, as long as they provide good stock and service.
Please go have a look at my facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fs-Geckos/362339593874889
Frank
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Graeme » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:14 am

My opinion is that any breeder worth their salt is known to at least one of the mods and quite a few members. A simple post titled "Has anyone dealt with so and so?" Should suffice. The newer breeders will unfortunately have to earn their stripes like all those before them, by letting the quality of their stock, proffesionalism and after sales service speak for itself.
Reach us @ Graeme Lotter on FB
OR 082 4749139
Email: snakesnadders@yahoo.co.uk
Graeme
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Frank » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:39 am

Graeme you and I are thinking along the same lines, but instead of someone having to start a new thread every time they want info/references on a seller I am suggesting that there be an easy to find point of reference.

Frank
SA Reptiles Member

Postby lerikoen » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:06 pm

@ Frank - I think your idea is definitely worth looking into. I know that I for one - as someone who is still getting to know people in the reptile community - would love a easy way to see who breed with which animals and whether or not they are reputable.

@Graeme - the problem I see with your simple post comes when you want to compare breeders, how many post are you going to have to make before you can make an informed decision - whereas if a system like Frank mentioned above exists these posts already exist so you can just browse through them and compare them from here.
lerikoen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby brentraf » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:32 pm

What about a rate or slate system? A way for people to review the breeders they have bought from. Rather than listing a whole bunch of breeders, people who have bought snakes before from breeders or shops can rate the quality of the animal, as well as service etc. There is something like this already on the forum but I'm thinking it needs to be developed more. If that happens the issue of reputable breeders is solved and the mods and admins don't have to do a whole bunch of new work.
If people who have bought would just recommend breeders after their purchase it would solve the problem.
1.1.0 Corn Snake (Pantherophis (Elaphe) guttata)
1.0.0 Giant Ground Gecko (Chondrodactylus angulifer angulifer)
1.0.0 Dumerils Boa (Boa dumerili)
1.1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa (Eryx colubrinus loveridgei)
I love JKS forever.
brentraf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gekosin » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:12 am

Why not give/ create a group for breeders... they can apply for it if they want and it will narrow down the search for breeders as you can just select the group? You could then incorporate a rating on each profile where the people can rate the breeder...? If the persons profile is up to date they will have what they breed etc
Proud Parent Of -

4.0.0 Corn Snake (Ghost Striped, Anery, Amber Stripe Corn)
0.3.0 Corn Snake (Normal, High Bloodred, Motley Gold Dust)
gekosin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:49 am

This is the thing, if we open a section on the forum where people are allowed to give feedback on their experiences with other people for whatever it is they do we are opening ourselves up for all sorts of trouble. Who's to say nobody will defamate a breeder in public because of a non related gripe they have with this person? How do we verify information offered by a random person when we receive a complaint about the offering? On the same token how would we verify information offered by people that have been manipulated into giving a breeder a good reputation when he does not deserve it?
This sort of ambiguity would render such a subforum questionable and believe me, scenarios like the ones I've mentioned are inevitable, you simply cannot place every single person that visits the site in the 'good fellow' box. I'm just not seeing the benefit overshadowing the hassles and the time needed to keep information clean and updated.

Having a breeders profile group is a plausible idea but where is the line drawn? Would the guy with his first clutch of leopard geckos qualify to be a breeder? Technically yes. How do we check this without having to visit each and every breeder with a tickbox checklist on a clipboard? Is it fair that only breeders we admin and trusted associates know are allowed in this group, back to verifying recommendations from random people? How would we keep the breeders group updated by removing ex-breeders without contacting and asking each one of them every predefined period of time? The logistics would be daunting if we wanted to keep this group valid.

What I'm prepared to do is what I mentioned in my previous post in this topic, where you'll be able to rate the breeders in the classifieds soon once my request for the coding comes through and there you go. The rest will be up to your offsite reputation as a breeder like any other business. Your online presence will depend on your advertising budget and the amount of animals your sell in the classifieds. If you feel a pressing urge to share your experience with a breeder it goes in the 'General discussions' forum, just keep it real. Unjustified bad mouthing has this knack of coming back to bite you.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Frank » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:42 am

Hey Froot.

How would your rating system for the classifieds work? What's to stop people giving poor ratings for the very same non related gripes or being manipulated into giving undeserved good reviews?

I think whatever rating system is implemented will most likely to open to abuse in some way shape or form, but I still think it will do more good than harm.

Frank
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Frank » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:48 am

With regards to keeping a breeders group up to date ,if you decided to go that route, I think it would be easiest to put that onus on the breeder themselves. In other words the breeder would be responsible to register him/herself and if they do not "reregister" every 6 months then the profile should be automatically deleted.

Frank
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:23 pm

It's the same rating method we see on sites like Amazon and Ebay for example, a row of up to 5 stars depending on the person's rep. Rating sellers by posting text on a forum can psychologically carry varied weights depending on the poster, the how well the post is written, etc, etc. where 'click voting' cannot skew the overall impression. It's just a better way to go about it. If I buy from a 5 star breeder I'll be just as confident that my goods will arrive on time and to spec as a written recommendation, which reminds me, people can place comments under ads in the classifieds if they wish.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Frank » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:50 pm

Sounds good, like i said I'd be happy with any rating system. :D

Frank
SA Reptiles Member

Postby lerikoen » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:40 pm

@ Froot - You're idea sounds like it can work. I understand about the bad mouthing that can take place in a sub forum as well as the hassles and admin it will create. There also seem to be quite a few problems mentioned that cannot be fixed by a sub forum. So I think your idea so far is the most realistic one.
lerikoen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby michael » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:52 pm

I like the idea of the breeds rating system, but what about the buyers? It’s easy to say someone is a bad breeder “because my snake doesn’t eat” but then the buyer hasn’t even tried to do what the breeder said about the animals husbandry. Or the “buyer” who asks for thousands of pictures from every angle and still doesn’t ever buy the animal. The breeder gets a bad name and the buyer is able to go on doing whatever he/she pleases. Perhaps this should also be a consideration?
Michael Burmeister
Psalm 115 v 1
michael
Forum gatekeeper

Postby froot » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:15 pm

That's a good point. The way I see it is it's where you the seller draws the line and how you impress the nature of the deal upon the customer. If you're selling a corn snake it's not worth satisfying the ass licking requests from stubborn buyers and state your position in the deal where you'll go no further. If you're selling a lavender retic, you'll certainly be prepared to lick some more ass to make a sale, but the line is not gone, it's just moved forward a bit. You can also show a buyer the snake feeding and make him sign a declaration that the animal is in good health before it leaves your control. Any future accusations can be easily snubbed by presenting a copy of this. If he takes it 'voetstoets' then as long as you have divulged any concerns you may have about the animal he takes the risk and cannot say anything. It has a lot to do with communicating the parameters of the deal with your customer before the exchange of goods, it's much easier to complain about something that, even if it should be obvious, it hasn't been aired and mutually understood. There is the comments field below your ad where you can (I think) share your feelings about a certain prospective buyer so they're not exactly behind a sheet of one way glass.
froot
Founder Member

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions And Technical Support