Care sheets for scorpions?

Here you will find information regarding care for your reptiles. These are member contributions.

Care sheets for scorpions?

Postby Lachdanan » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:58 pm

Hi,

I had a Parabuthus Transvaalicus quite a few years ago when I was still in school, but the poor thing unfortunately didnt last much longer than 4 months, despite me doing exactly what i thought a scorpion would like.

Would someone more in the know consider placing a caresheet on here? I'd like to keep some scorpions again but not if im going to kill it through ignorance again.

thanks.
Lachdanan
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Urizen » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:04 pm

Parabuthis Transvaalicus:

I keep mine in 28-30 degree day temps and 24-26 degree night temps . With a light watering (spray) once a week to once every two weeks. I feed them weekly. Err. substrate, is a mixture of sand (like the stuff beardies are sometimes kept on), bark, and a small amount of spaghum moss. I provide two hides, and a water dish, that is slightly fillled. You could keep breeding pairs together, but make sure food is ample, and when birthing is expected to remove the male. Err else no communal setups. That should be it...protect from the winter cold, and they are pretty bullet proof.
Urizen
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Care sheets for scorpions?

Postby sildargod » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:40 pm

I keep my P transvaalicus no different to my other scorps. Provide it ample space (about 3x the length of the scorp - 40cm x 20cm x 20cm height) and a good sized hide. At least one per scorpion (I keep mine communally, they haven't cannibalised each other, and it's entertaining to watch them fight over food, even though there's always ample available). I have no heating on it, as they are local species and don't seem to mind the temperature fluctuations we have in Joburg. I mist weekly and provide a water bowl, though they seem to avoid it and prefer the misting. There should be enough substrate for them to burrow in, they usually burrow under the hides provided.

How big was your transvaalicus when it died? If it was wild caught, there's every likelihood that it simply died of old age. They really are hardy creatures and take quite extreme fluctuations in their environment in their stride.
http://www.facebook.com/kaleemrorkphotography
sildargod
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Care Sheets