Care Sheets For Egg Eaters

Here you will find information regarding care for your reptiles. These are member contributions.

Re: Care Sheets For Egg Eaters

Postby Fooble » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:22 am

Nice, haha you don't get a bite worse then a toothless egg eater :-)

Here use this web site to hist your pictures its the easiest to use
http://www.photobucket.com simple sign up and upload your pictures its easy and quick!
I have some pictures posted somewhere here with a hatchling Southern brown Egg Eater taking finch eggs really cool.
Look forward to seeing those pictures.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby John Rees » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:51 am

Hi Fooble
Have been off-line for a while. Thanks for the website re the photos. I will give it a bash later today.

As I haven't had luck finding finch eggs we tried feeding both the snakes last night with just a syringe and it seemed to work to a degree. Got between 0,5 and 1,0ml down each of their throats. Quite a job to get their mouths open and I managed to cause a bit of coughing and spluttering after feeding the stronger of the two due to it reguritating a little in the middle of it all. Hopefully it is ok? Will take a look tonight again. Will also look to find a tube to get the discharge point a bit further down the throats in future.
John Rees
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:02 am

HI John What Tubes are you using? Bearing in mind they need to be quite thin as not to do the animal any damage
When doing so just be careful as the snake wriggles and struggles as it can damage itself, but sounds like your doing fine.

look forward to seeing some pics
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Westley Price » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:08 am

Hi John

What I've found that works excellently is a tube that I got from my vet for tube feeding baby bogs and cats. It has a nice rounded tip and a ball-valve preventing any flow back into the tube. It works great!It's also quite long (around 40-50cm) so you gan inject the egg quite far down the eggie's throat. I dont keep eggies anymore, but it also works great for injecting medicine etc into problem snakes.

Go to your local vet and ask about this. It doesnt cost much and the tubing is very flexible and durable. Give it a try.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby John Rees » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:08 pm

Thanks for the advice and I will see what I can get from our local vet. Also found some info elsewhere here with a pic of a (human) feed tube and syringe apparently also succesfully used.

Let's see if I can bring in some photos!
This one of the mother just after a molt:

These of the babies with 50c coin:

This one is a bit weak and needs some TLC I think?

I have more photos of the Female also some quite nice ones of her eating a pigeon egg. I was quite stunned that she managed it and actually ate both.

Go to: http://s600.photobucket.com/albums/tt90 ... g%20Eater/
John Rees
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:01 pm

That's a really nice looking egg eater in the first picture love the constant dark band on the top.

You since released it right?
Glad you came right with the photo hosting!
Look forward to the progress with the little ones!
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Previous

Return to Care Sheets