Herald snake Eggs

Here you will find information regarding care for your reptiles. These are member contributions.

Herald snake Eggs

Postby Kennyakagera » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:32 am

Hi everybody ,

I'm Kenny, I'm living in rwanda (working for Akagera National Park for African Park) and new on this forum so if I do anything wrong tell me :D.

Well the probleme is that I keep some snake here that I caught on the bush on I've got a couple of Herald snake (Crotaphopeltis Hotemboeia) which have mate 69 days ago, I wasn't expecting anything really in term of eggs (it will be my first eggs if she lay) but yesterday looking a bit on my record my female is actually in pre-shed. So if everything goes well I should get some eggs on the next days ...

Probleme is I'm not really ready for it and kind of stressed a bit (I don't want to loose my first cluth obviously). Looking on the web they all speak about bloody vermiculite and this kind of thing but I'm on the middle of nowhere and I would like to know if you guys could give me some info about breeding without all of those fancy things ^^, I mean if there is anything natural I can use (sand, paper, coton ...) and do I need ABSOLUTLY a incubator ? Or the temperature should be allright ? maybe a light ? Because there is no way I'll find a incubator here...

Anyway thanks you for reading,
And have a good day!
(Sorry for my english if there is any mistake but it's not my first language ^^)
Kenny.
East African Herpetofauna Group.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/662521540444058/
Kennyakagera
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Herald snake Eggs

Postby Westley Price » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:48 am

Hi Kenny and welcome to the forum

It is very encouraging to see you so enthusiastic over the eggs. Makes me remember my first eggs.

I have not bred Heralds, but I can give you some advice regarding incubation in general.

Vermiculite is used for a few reasons; it holds moisture well (without keeping the eggs too wet), it allows for air flow and it doesn't mold too easily.

Having said that, there are many other substances you can use. I've heard of cotton wool being used, toilet paper, moss (i'm sure you could find some moss somewhere in the park.

The problem with these options is that they tend to keep the water on the eggs' surfaces, which could result in the eggs going rotte.

I'm not sure if this would work, but do you perhaps have access to "kitty litter?" It is the gravel type stuff that people use for their cats to pee on. You should find it in a good shop if you have any near you.

Do you guys think kitty litter would work? Not sure if the water can be released once it's been absorbed.

In terms of temperature, try to find a cupboard which is around 27 degrees Celsius throughout the day. Cupboards are best as they don't fluctuate too much from day to night like the rest of a room would.

So I would say, get your best option to use as substrate (under the eggs), place them in a sealed tub (like an ice cream tub or big butter tub) with a few very small air holes in and place this tub with the eggs in your selected cupboard.

Good Luck Kenny. Let us know how it goes.

I hope someone else on the forum who has bred HEralds before can maybe give you some better advice.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby rolandslf » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:13 am

Hello Kenny

Your biggest problem here is the substrate for the eggs. What you can do is get some river sand, place the eggs on the sand in a container. You need some air holes, not very big, maybe 2 millimeter in size in the top of the container lid. When the eggs come, try to place them in the center of the container so that you can moisten the sand on the egdes around the eggs. You can as an additional moistener, every Sunday check the eggs, if they seem dry or dented, place some double or triple layered toilet paper over the eggs and moisten it, not dripping wet, leave for 24 hours and remove, repeating every Sunday. This should cover the Substrate and moisture problems. You can check if the eggs are getting too much moisture by looking at their shape, if they become distorted or bulge out of shape, then they are getting too much moisture.

Now for incubation, any cupboard where the temperature stays between 25 and 32 degrees, the cooler it is the longer the incubation period is all you need to take note of.

Herald eggs are very small, but virtually bullett proof, you really have to cock it up to destroy them.

Best of luck.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kennyakagera » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:49 am

Tanks you so mush guys for the quick answers !! I think the easier for me is the sand (I collected some yesterday already) What should I put on the cage for her to lay the eggs inside ? I know that I have to be carefull with the water because they like to lay the eggs on the water ^^.
Well I'll have a look at what you said and thank you angain for the answers !! :)
Kennyakagera
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:47 am

Take the Water Bowl out and put in a very small one so that she can't climb into it.
Put a plastic container with a lid in her cage, cut a hole in the lid and put moist moss in the container. She will spend a few days in the container and lay her eggs.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:13 am

Firstly kitty litter is toxic and must not be used at all.

If you place the eggs on sand that is fine or else you can use compost from under a big tree where the leaves have broken it down into that dark soil. Half bury the eggs so that half the eggs stick out of the ground. Read on the forum about not rolling the eggs or damaging them. That dark soil inside a tub like an ice cream tub will be fine. Keep the soil moist and place the tub in the cupboard.

Take pebbles and put these in her water bowl so that she can drink by getting her head between the pebbles but she cannot lay her eggs in the water.

Good luck.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Kennyakagera » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:52 am

So if I use the compost as you said do I still use the sand or it's one or the other ? And what's about the clucth should I take each eggs appart or keep the cluth still ? Thank's for your answers !
Kennyakagera
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:58 am

Kenny you can use sand but the compost just retains moisture that much longer and better. Sand is terrible for retaining moisture. The eggs must not roll around at all so do not separate them if they have dried. Just try to bury the bottom ones half way. Herald eggs are pretty tough and they should hatch quite easily.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Kennyakagera » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:16 pm

Sawa I'll try that so !! Thanks you very much again just one more thing do I have to sterilise in any way the compost ? Or doesn't really matter ?
Kenny.
Kennyakagera
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Constrictor Girl » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:04 pm

Bonjour Kenny, est votre langue maternelle anglaise ou francaise?
Meg Botha
Renegade Trading
"We are only limited by your imagination"

-Never argue with an idiot, people watching might not be able to tell the difference-
Constrictor Girl
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kennyakagera » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:56 pm

Non ma langue maternelle est Francais ! :)
Kennyakagera
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Constrictor Girl » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:38 am

Bonne.
Vous ne devriez pas besoin de steralise le compost, de sa degradation naturelle et je ne pas trop concerne. Le compost libere un peu de chaleur et humidite qui vous ne voulez pas briser en tripotant pas trop. Nous tenir au courant de la facon dont vontre heraut fait.

Good.
You shouldn't need to steralise th compost, its natural decay so I wouldnt be too concerned. The compost will release a little heat and moisture which you dont want to break down by fiddling too much with it. Keep us posted with how your herald is doing.
Meg Botha
Renegade Trading
"We are only limited by your imagination"

-Never argue with an idiot, people watching might not be able to tell the difference-
Constrictor Girl
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kennyakagera » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:53 pm

Thank you very much. It's actually already done I passed it a bit on the microwave to, at least, kill the ants inside. And there is want it looks like please tell me if it is enough and not too small.

DSC_9754WEB.jpg

DSC_9756WEB.jpg

What do you think ?
Any comments about the cage ?

Cheers,
Kenny.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kennyakagera
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:01 pm

You can use much more than this. Give her a nice big nesting box.

The cage is fine for a snake of this size. If they are common just feed her once she has laid the eggs and let her go.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Aaxel » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:54 pm

Je ne savais pas que il y avais des gens qui parler francais ici!
Contricter girl, commen to savais que Kennyakagera parler francais?

Pardon mon ecriture.
never argue with idiots, they will drag you down their level then beat you with experience
Aaxel
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Care Sheets