Taiwan beauty (Orthriophis taeniurus freisi)

Here you will find information regarding care for your reptiles. These are member contributions.

Taiwan beauty (Orthriophis taeniurus freisi)

Postby Hendre » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:12 am

This is one of the biggest rat snakes. They grow large and powerful and are extremely fast, especially in strike speed. The Taiwan snake retains it's juvenile patterning throughout its life which is very variable between individuals. The coloring of a freshly shed snake is nothing short of stunning and unlike some other rat snake species, these guys seem to get brighter and sharper with age.

At birth, these snakes are 30-40 cm in length. female do tend to grow larger than males but only by about 30cm but there are many exceptions.
If you provide the snake with everything it needs they will live up to about 20 years altough longest that i know of recorded is 30 years.

A Taiwanese beauty snake that is comfortable in its surroundings is a fearless animal. That is not to say that the snake will come to you when you open the vivarium ( although as with everything there are exceptions ) but they do not appear to be overly territorial and do not go mad when picked up.

Taiwanese beauty snakes seem to be very scent and smell oriented animals. When the snake is frozen, it will often taste the air for a long period of time, 5 - 10 seconds or so with the tongue out continuously. From reading accounts of other people of this species, this appears to be a sign of fear or unease. The actual reason for the prolonged tongue exposure is unclear... and i personally think that it is not for that reason.

Speed of movement is a very important factor with Beauty snakes. Something moving quickly is likely to get bitten including hands and fingers and people rushing past you while you are holding the snake. This appears to be true of hatchlings as well as adults. Bites when they do occur happen without warning other than the usual S shape of most snakes. There is no tail rattling or neck inflation although the snake may open its mouth slightly ready to bite if it is stressed. again have seen a large male rattleling its tail several times just before striking. The key to not getting bitten with Beauties is to recognize these signs. Being bitten and/or constricted by a 8-10 foot snake with a body as thick as your wrist can be a pretty messy and bruising affair. but with regular handling you learn the snakes behavior and such instances can be avoided.

In general, Beauty snakes make superb pets. They are big enough and strong enough to be mightily impressive, their body patterns are astonishingly beautiful, one of natures true works of art and the Taiwan Beauty's temperaments are lovely once you have learned how your particular animal likes to be treated. all beauty snakes needs regular handling or else you will regret not handling them more the one time that you do.

At birth this species will eat large pinky mice or small fuzzy mice, most keepers feed at 5 or 7 day intervals. Most food in snakes younger than 3 years is turned to growth and the snakes will grow rapidly during this time. The snake will soon be on to large fuzzy mice and then onto small and adult mice but there is no hard and fast rule. (but people tend to be shocked when their 3 month old taiwan eats an adult mice) My general rule for babies is that once it starts eating two large pinkies at a time, move it up to fuzzy mice. An adult beauty snake will take two medium sized rats depending on its girth and size and will require feeding once every 10-14 days.

Beauty snakes have a devastating feeding response. Food is snatched vigorously and thoroughly constricted and 'killed' with the mouth before eating. unless the animal is very tame and used to finding the food just lying there dead. You can always provoke this kind of behavior by movnig the dead prey around a bit.
Feeding is one of the many joys of keeping Beauties. On timing the strike ( with a camera ) a female was found to go from striking to constriction in approx 1/50th of a second! if you are going to keep beauties together as i do, feed separately as always and keep apart for at least 2 hours and wash the one that goes back in with waterspray.

Many people say this species needs temps of about 29-31*C on the warm end but i have found that the snakes (at those temps) always stay on the cool side and are agrresive. i then lowered my warm side temp to around 27*C (witch is the avg temp of Taiwan) and they moved more freely and became a lot more calm. So keep them between 24(cold side) and 27*C(warm side) with a basking spot of 28-28.5*C ( if you want but as far as i am concerned not really used) during the day and at night warm side can drop to 24*C or a bit lower. it is also said that they breed successfully at these temps without going trough a brumation period witch i have yet to prove myself.

i used a heating pad and a plain tube light at he warm end.

Ventilation is very important, poor ventilation means higher humidity which is not good for this species. but the also do not fare well in bone dry conditions. A humid hide box will do the snakes good.

they are big active snakes and thus require big cages, much bigger than their American or European counterparts. I would recomend for a
adult blue/taiwan/Yunnan beauty a 180cmx60cmx60cm with a few things for them to climb. the chinese beauty does not grow to be as big as the other (1.5m) and can be kept in a smaller cage

all of this info can also be applied to the other beauty snakes (chinese, Yunnan, blue) except for the cave racer (Orthriophis taeniurus ridleyi) whose temperament leaves a lot to be desired and needs different care for it to thrive in captivity.
A slithery slide on the wild side
Hendre
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Taiwan beauty (Orthriophis taeniurus freisi)

Postby BEARDIE&BOX » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:00 am

Thx for posting this great care sheet! I'm getting my Taiwan Beauty next week, 3 months old and I'm sooo excited, been looking for one for the last 6 months!!!
Not knowing something is normally a milestone on the way to knowledge!
1.1.0 Elaphe Gutatta Gutatta
0.1.0 BCI Boa Constrictor Imperator
1.0.0 BCC Boa Constictor Constrictor
1.0.0 Orthriophis Taeniura Friesi
0.1.0 Lampropeltis Banana King
BEARDIE&BOX
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Biosmith » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:47 pm

:) Hi Beardie, ive got a pair of these and they really are awesome snakes to keep, great display snakes. You are really going to enjoy your new snake. Remember to post some pics!
Biosmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BEARDIE&BOX » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:15 am

Hi Biosmith, I will post them on Monday for sure!! Why are these taiwans so rare? Been looking for 6-7 months to find hatchlings or up to 3 months old?
BEARDIE&BOX
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BEARDIE&BOX » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:15 pm

Biosmith wrote::) Hi Beardie, ive got a pair of these and they really are awesome snakes to keep, great display snakes. You are really going to enjoy your new snake. Remember to post some pics!

I posted some pics. I'm sooo happy with this beauty and his temperament!!
BEARDIE&BOX
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sico » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:18 pm

my big male (2.4m+) died last night. not sure why, as i am out of SA, will have to look for a new boy. Beardie, yours looks like a little stunner.
Mark
Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience usually comes from bad judgment.
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BEARDIE&BOX » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:30 pm

Damn, I'm really sorry to hear this. Did your Taiwan showed any signs of illness? How long did you have your Beauty, and who took care of it while you away? I can get you a male +- 2m, or a juvenile(60 to 70 cm)
if you interrested pm me!
BEARDIE&BOX
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sico » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:09 am

Beardie, the pair of them had a parasite infection when i got them towards the end of last year, but that appeared to be sorted.
Other than slowing down a bit with the onset of winter and not eating as much, they were both fine, with no problems.
Mark
Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience usually comes from bad judgment.
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Postby ggolemg » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:57 pm

I've tried to combine multiple care sheets for taiwanese beauty snakes: http://beautysnake.blogspot.com/p/taiwanese-beauty-rat-snake.html Let me know what you think, I'll make any changes if something is wrong.
ggolemg
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Tars » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:49 pm

I know this post was done quite some time ago.

Was just wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of someone that breeds Taiwanese Rat snakes, and maybe give a rough estimate of price for hatchlings?

I am in PTA and would obviously prefer if I could find someone in the Gauteng region.

If you have available, or know of someone, please contact me @ 079 544 0192 or wayneprnsl@gmail.com

Thanks in advance.
Tars
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:12 pm

Gavin and Chantel have some nice morphs for sale so you could contact them.

They are in KZN, but should not be a problem.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Tars » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:50 am

Thanks Wes, do you perhaps have contact details for them?
Tars
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:39 am

They use a profile on the forum under the name "Chantel".

Just send them a PM.

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=29
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Tars » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:58 pm

Thanks for the help Wesley, much appreciated!!
Tars
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Tars » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:23 am

So, once again I know this post is very old, but I found the information very useful.

After a long search for hatchlings, I came across this beautiful pair which I simply couldn't resist!!

They are absolutely stunnig, the male is about 2.5m and the female +- 2m, they are proven breeders (absolutely puppy dog tame), I cannot wait for the breeding season, I think there is far to little of these in the market!!

Here are some images of them, they are currently in a temporary/quarantine setup although they look 100% healthy, I will post some more pics once they are in their permanent enclosure.

20160228_112516.jpg

20160228_112533.jpg

IMG-20160223-WA0043.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tars
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Care Sheets