JUST A THOUGHT !!!! AV FUND

This section will help you get first aid treatment protocols incase of an envenomation. This includes indigenous and exotic reptiles. Please do not use this forum for photo sharing, etc.

Re: JUST A THOUGHT !!!! AV FUND

Postby spinnerak » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:21 pm

just a heads up on the topic...... i have a pharmacist who is willing to import the AV for us in the event that we can sort out the whole policy idea
"Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac."
George Carlin.
spinnerak
SA Reptiles Member

Re: JUST A THOUGHT !!!! AV FUND

Postby Robain » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:34 am

here's an idea, medical aids would not do it because they not ensured of making a profit etc and there is the shelf life of the av to consider... which brings me to the idea... snake parks! If they care for the people working for them they stock av... which has a shelf life... now if they had a bunch of people sending them cash every month, one of 2 things happens, somone gets tagged and the av is used and replaced (rather than expiring and chucked away), or no one gets tagged (because they all been on courses and don't "drink and herp") and the AV expires, and is replaced with the funds raised by premiums etc... less cost (and posibly even a small profit) for the snake park who has to stock the AV in the first place (ethically)... the thing is how many people are willing to sign up? Oh and one more thing, If I get bit today and get my AV shots and you get bit tommorow, there is no AV for you!!! So maybe a group of snake parks could run the system together and share the cash (it would also meen there is AV is various locations, (JHB, PE, Durbs etc) so that shipping times could be reduced too. I think the thing that needs to be know is how many people would be willing to pay say R250 a month for "just in case". enough people and the system could work. anyone not on the system that is tagged needs to sign up for a set time or take out a loan or something to pay double for the AV out right (funds could be used then to extend the AV for other species etc)... well, I am 100% keen. I know nothing about how much AV costs or even if the snake parks stock av, but if they do it makes sense for them to setup a system like this and make it less of an expense and more of an income...
Robain
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Venom Club