Step by step?

This section will help you get first aid treatment protocols incase of an envenomation. This includes indigenous and exotic reptiles. Please do not use this forum for photo sharing, etc.

Step by step?

Postby iiviii » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:05 am

Does anyone know where I can get a "step by step" sheet of some sorts relating to snakebites? E.g. I want something I can have up in our snake room that says what should happen if I get bitten by the specific species, what I should do in terms of sit still or put on a bandage etc aswell as what I / the doctors could expect while dealing with the bite?

Thanks in advance.

Chris
There is no greater love than that shared between a human and a reptile - Author Unknown
iiviii
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Step by step?

Postby Whitelipp » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:56 am

Do a snake bite treatment and ID course and a propper snake handling course and you will have everything you need!
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Dont keep it real, keep it EXOTIC!!!
Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby iiviii » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:41 pm

I'd love to, but there are a few problems with that. I won't be able to get off work anytime soon, no one in East London that I know of is hosting any and even if I could get time off and find someone, they still wouldn't be able to give me all the info I want. I want a source that I can refer back to everytime I want to know something about a diffenrent species. Is there no website that offers information such as this? Or are these guys simply teaching from experience?
There is no greater love than that shared between a human and a reptile - Author Unknown
iiviii
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Whitelipp » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:16 pm

iiviii wrote:I'd love to, but there are a few problems with that. I won't be able to get off work anytime soon, no one in East London that I know of is hosting any and even if I could get time off and find someone, they still wouldn't be able to give me all the info I want. I want a source that I can refer back to everytime I want to know something about a diffenrent species. Is there no website that offers information such as this? Or are these guys simply teaching from experience?

And that's why you do a course with a reputable person... You get all the info you need! Get of work? For what? These are on weekends. I drove 900km to go to a course. Just fly.
If you search the forum you will find what you are looking for. But believe me its better to do a course.
That's my advice. Otherwise search protocals
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:55 pm

If you really want a booklet you should contact the ministry of health. They use to hand out those snakebite pamphlet but the last one is pretty old. I believe the newest version is published by SAVP. http://www.savp.co.za/Resources.htm
We are learning things on these courses that is best learned first hand and the newest pamphlet isn't as updated as the course material so give some thought to doing it.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby michael » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:43 am

iiviii wrote:Does anyone know where I can get a "step by step" sheet of some sorts relating to snakebites? E.g. I want something I can have up in our snake room that says what should happen if I get bitten by the specific species, what I should do in terms of sit still or put on a bandage etc aswell as what I / the doctors could expect while dealing with the bite?

If you don’t know the answers to those questions better and more up to date than any doctor you have no business keeping those snakes. In other words before you even get the snake make sure you have the correct protocols and you have a doctor who knows what you keep and how to treat it.
When you want to keep venomous snakes you must be the expert and really understand what you are getting yourself into. Treating snakebite is not simple easy thing, that’s why I would make sure that I know exactly what to expect before I get the snake. Do the snake bite and handling courses that are offered you may learn something that could save your life!
Michael Burmeister
Psalm 115 v 1
michael
Forum gatekeeper

Postby iiviii » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:11 am

I think I should just end the thread here Because this is going to break out into an argument.

Thanks guys.
iiviii
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Whitelipp » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:15 am

iivii I will forward you everything I have. Sorry man didnt mean to be rude. I will help you out as far as I can mate.
Send me your e-mail address and Ill scan and e-mail you all my protocalls.

Regards
Christoff
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby iiviii » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:49 am

Thanks man. I didn't take offence to what you said, but I'm wanting info for future use and just for general knowledge, as well as a "formal" printout of some sort that i could use for a file of information that I am trying to build up. My aim is to eventually have a written copy of everything about most snakes ( the more commonly kept ones, both venomous and non-venomous ). Including venom type, procedure of what to do if bitten, husbandry, feeding, general keeping problems, etc.
What I meant by keeping these forms up in a snake room would be only so that i could take it with me to a hospital if needed or if I was to be found unconscious in my snake room.

On the other hand there are many days that I would be speaking to my girl friend about a certain species and then we'll want to know something about it, but instead of phoning someone about it we could just look it up from that file.

But thanks for the help Whitelipp
iiviii
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Venom Club