Johan Marais

This section will help you get first aid treatment protocols incase of an envenomation. This includes indigenous and exotic reptiles. Please do not use this forum for photo sharing, etc.

Re: Johan Marais

Postby rolandslf » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:32 am

Arno, going by the symptoms. can I assume that this was a partial and not full envenomation.
Another factor, we always advocate wearing proper footwear when in the Bush or when dealing with venomous snakes, here is backup proof to what we teach, if Johan had not been wearing closed footwear, the consequences of this bite would have been far worse.
Lastly, Johan has most probably used this technique to demonstrate the speed of a Puffy Strike many times in the past. The lesson we need to learn from this is that we need to be super alert and vigilant at all times when handling or dealing with these animals.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mouse » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:43 am

Maybe the puffy thought his foot was a frisbee?
Mouse
SA Reptiles Member

Postby TJ&ACP » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:44 am

Thanks Arno, I am glad to hear he is OK. I have seen a photo on facebook that was posted by Johan and it did not look to bad. Please keep us updated.
As a general rule, the more we learn about snakes and their ways, the less fear we have of them. This is usually not so with the Mamba.
The more one learns of his ways, the greater grows the dread of him.
He, without doubt, is the King of Snakes in South Africa.
For quickness, aggressiveness, and the deadly nature of his venom, he has no equal.
F. W. FITZSIMONS, 1912
TJ&ACP
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pieter89 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:24 am

Ah, Johan made a mistake and he acknowledged it. Some people on this forum should remember no one is perfect... [with reference to ALL topics, not only this one] Glad he is OK!
Pieter van Zyl
Pieter89
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Unforgiven » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:31 am

Mouse wrote:Maybe the puffy thought his foot was a frisbee?

Classic! :lol:

And I agree with many of the comments. Johan has done quite a bit for the herp comunity and I don't think its fair to label his entire career off of one mistake, no matter how silly it is. I am glad things are not worse than what they could be
Fear not, forgiveness is in grasp
Unforgiven
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Crash » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:01 pm

Unforgiven wrote:
Mouse wrote:Maybe the puffy thought his foot was a frisbee?

And I agree with many of the comments. Johan has done quite a bit for the herp comunity and I don't think its fair to label his entire career off of one mistake, no matter how silly it is. I am glad things are not worse than what they could be

Well said..... Glad all is looking well hope he makes a full recovery.
Crash
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:58 pm

Everyone is jumping up and down about him being bitten in the foot. I did the same many years ago except I did it on camera and this was broadcast around the world. I still have the footage on a VHS tape.

Everyone gets their turn. Dont Judge !!!!

He is doing much better today and says he will be herping again in a day or two. Now that will not happen but I am sure he will be fine in next to no time.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby TJ&ACP » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:33 pm

Thanks again for the latest update, now that we know all worked out and a lesson to us all. Now more on a lighter tone. Arno what is a VHS tape? HAHA :D
As a general rule, the more we learn about snakes and their ways, the less fear we have of them. This is usually not so with the Mamba.
The more one learns of his ways, the greater grows the dread of him.
He, without doubt, is the King of Snakes in South Africa.
For quickness, aggressiveness, and the deadly nature of his venom, he has no equal.
F. W. FITZSIMONS, 1912
TJ&ACP
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:38 pm

Some of you need to read more carefully... really. I said that I am glad to hear he is doing well and I wish him a speedy recovery so don't try and make it look as though I have no compassion. I was simply trying to find out the cause of the bite as I know that Puffy and many other viper bites are due to unnecessary silly mistakes. Tagged your post was useless. These "kids" you speak of make up a large portion of the forum members and are quite well informed thanks to the forum itself. I know there are a few older members on the forum who think they are superior because of their age. Please, grow up. Most of the members couldn't care less if you are older and more experienced. It isn't a competition, you don't win anything. However they are willing to learn. Some of you post childishly about me getting bitten, haha nice. If I get tagged because I was doing something questionable then I am more than willing to accept being called foolish. Many of you get way too touchy very quickly. Chill out. Glad Johan is doing well. Hopefully we all learn from this.
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Tagged » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:33 am

Thanks Jamster, point proven.
Tagged
SA Reptiles Member

Puff Adder bite

Postby Cytotoxin » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:37 am

Hi All.

After reading this I now know why people say expect the un-expected, when working with venomous.

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/ ... r-20130309

Keep well and stay safe.

-Topics Merged-
2.2.0 Corn snakes
1.1.0 Mangrove pit vipers
0.0.3 While lip tree vipers
1.1.4 Crested Geckos
0.0.1 Day gecko
Cytotoxin
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Puff Adder bite

Postby Hoss » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:30 am

"It was painful, but not as bad as listening to Justin Bieber," Marais said from his hospital bed in Krugersdorp.

haha. I don't know if that could be true, but it would be a real toss up, choosing between a puffy bite or Bieber. :lol:
Hoss
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Nasicornis » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:34 am

The problem, Jamster, is not what you said but the way you said it. You did come across as being offensive. It would do you some good to consider your wording before posting thus avoiding unnecessary squabbling on a subject not calling for it. Accidents are so defined for a reason. Good to hear you are doing ok Johan.
No dangerous reptiles, only dangerous keepers
Nasicornis
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Jamster » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:51 pm

Well put Nasicornis. I can see how it can be interpreted as being offensive. One problem with text is it often fails to deliver intention.
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Venom Club