Grade 5 girl bitten in Sasolburg Free state

This section will help you get first aid treatment protocols incase of an envenomation. This includes indigenous and exotic reptiles. Please do not use this forum for photo sharing, etc.

Re: Grade 5 girl bitten in Sasolburg Free state

Postby Hoss » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:01 am

Just bear in mind that for them the priority is the little girl. The dad had to get the snake some how as an ID for the doctors to know what they dealing with. For the uninformed when fear takes over it could have been a green mamba and they could have been convinced that the worst was about to befall their little girl.
Hoss
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Grade 5 girl bitten in Sasolburg Free state

Postby Bushviper » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:16 pm

I do fully understand why the snake was killed. The kid was clueless about the snake, the parents even more so and the hospital even more so. The last thing you need is a over eager doctor administering antivenom for a bite like this. This is South Africa and not everything works the way you would think it should.

I also have my doubts that the girl was bitten unless she was standing on the snake. Luckily the snake could be partially identified over the phone (it had stripes down its body so all further treatment was suspended) and no harm was done to the child.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Previous

Return to Venom Club