Interesting Stiletto Bite

This section will help you get first aid treatment protocols incase of an envenomation. This includes indigenous and exotic reptiles. Please do not use this forum for photo sharing, etc.

Interesting Stiletto Bite

Postby Smeegle » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:55 am

Hi Everyone,

I stumbled upon this blog detailing a Stiletto bite, apologies if it has been posted before. It seems he was in good hands at the hospital because I don't see any signs of the usual butchering to "drain the venom" or "relieve pressure" etc.

http://nottinghilltonowhere.wordpress.com/tag/snake-bite/

It goes without saying that these little snakes are not to be messed with!
One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living. We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon instead of enjoying the roses that are blooming outside our windows today.
- Dale Carnegie
Smeegle
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Interesting Stiletto Bite

Postby Joubert » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:49 pm

Hi

Just want to add to this. I was with my dad in the Stockpoort region outside Ellisras this past January. One night he got bit by a stilleto. So I caught it and took it to the hospital with my dad. I pulled out the fang myself as it broke off in my dad's index finger. This happened 10:10pm. He thought it was a blind snake. So I rushed 60km on gravel road to hospital with him. He stayed the night with cortisoon in the drip. The next day when the doctor arrived, the finger looked completely normal. It was a dry bite. Even doctor said he never heard of a dry bite of these snakes before. My dad was very lucky. I released the snake again. IMO no need to kill it.
Joubert
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Venom Club