Black mamba kills Botswana boy

This section will help you get first aid treatment protocols incase of an envenomation. This includes indigenous and exotic reptiles. Please do not use this forum for photo sharing, etc.

Black mamba kills Botswana boy

Postby SABOAMAN » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:45 am

Found this on IOL news

http://www.iol.co.za/news/africa/black- ... K4Y19JxnR0

Gaborone - An 11-year-old boy was killed by a black mamba snake in the Selibi-Phikwe district in central Botswana on Wednesday, police said.

The boy, his grandmother, and others had been collecting edible mopane worms in trees, Superintendent Takongwa Mazwiduma told a Sapa correspondent.

The boy and his friends noticed the snake and pursued it back to its burrow. The snake turned and bit the boy. He was dead on arrival at a hospital.

Mazwiduma said people bitten by snakes or other wild animals needed to report the incident to authorities quickly.

In this case, the matter was reported late and it was impossible to find the snake. This was, however, the first incident of this kind in the area, Mazwiduma said.

The black mamba is one of the world's deadliest snakes. It is named for the colour of the inside of its mouth
Rudolf Booyens
SABOAMAN
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Black mamba kills Botswana boy

Postby Ruan Stander » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:30 pm

Tragic, children should be educated so that they know better, just leave them be (the snakes).
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:34 am

Boys will be boys and they will do stuff they were explicitly told not to do. Chasing a mamba is no different. Not all the incidents make it to the newspaper and i think this happens quite often.

I guess killing the mamba makes them feel like some type of justice was done. This is Africa and they were never going to leave it to live in that area.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Ruan Stander » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:45 pm

I'm clearly the one always trying to convince my friends that what they are about to do is dangerous and risky, and should rather be avoided ;)

On the other hand I find it strange, as in Africa, most of the time, the people are running away from snakes, not after them.
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Venom Club