Puff Adder Bite

This section will help you get first aid treatment protocols incase of an envenomation. This includes indigenous and exotic reptiles. Please do not use this forum for photo sharing, etc.

Postby froot » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:03 pm

You can buy polyvalent antivenom from SAVP and stock your own antivenom if you wish, but as BB said just make sure they give you serum that still has some good shelf life left before it expires.
Just bear in mind that it is not there for YOU TO ADMINISTER in the case of a bite but for you to TAKE WITH TO THE NEAREST HOSPITAL and not have to rely on them to keep stock for you.

Another thing to bear in mind is that the amount of serum required to treat a bite varies from case to case and it is pointless to keep serum if you do not have enough, I would say that 10 vials should cover most cases. 10 vials will be rather costly so it may be an idea to pool the costs between your buddys and store the serum in 1 central place.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:05 pm

Boadicea there is not antivenom for any exotic species held by any hospital in SA. Some of the facilities that house these animals have their own antivenom but will deny this unless it is one of their own staff that got bitten. Dont even bother asking them because they will not make any available.

Atheris does not have an antivenom and I dont think there is one for V. ammodytes either.

Go to http://www.savp.co.za and have a look what antivenoms they have and you can order from them if your local hospital does not have any.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Loslappie » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:08 pm

I found that the Netcare hospital group is jacked up, I called about and enquired, there is a hospital 2 minutes drive from me about 1.5km away, and they have antivenom in stock, the Dr said should they need more, they can get more in a matter of minutes. BUT the DR says they only administer when symptoms manifest itself, as they have had a few dry bites in the past.

AND yes my medical aid does cover should I get bitten.
Thats just a few things peeps should know should they collect/ handle any venomous snake.
If it hasnt yet, it will!
Loslappie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby armata » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:41 pm

There is a good antiserum for ammodytes 'Zagreb' but I don't think anyone has it here. It covers all Vipera so most UK and other European hospitals have quick access to it - also UK vets.
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Rob » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:11 pm

Would a medical aid still cover a bite if they knew you were a frequent venomous handler?
I know this may vary depending on the medical aid scheme, but has anyone specified this to their medical aid and can still confirm theyre covered?
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:53 am

Rob I have been told that handling snakes should not make a difference any more than because you drive a lot you get into a car accident and now that is your fault. None of us do this to get bitten so they are classed as an accident. They still cover you for catching aids and that does not happen without some action or inaction on your behalf.

This was discussed before and clarified but get this in writing from your medical aid and then you will be covered for sure.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Loslappie » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:33 am

Rob wrote:Would a medical aid still cover a bite if they knew you were a frequent venomous handler?
I know this may vary depending on the medical aid scheme, but has anyone specified this to their medical aid and can still confirm theyre covered?

Rob like BV said,should you get bitten it is an accident and you dont need to specify this, there may be clauses that can cause you to doubt that they will cover, do yourself a favour and call them, and get it in writing like BV said. It will make you sleep a little better at night should you be bitten.
Loslappie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:24 am

Yeah i think that may be an idea.
As you say though, spending more time in your vehicle, as a rep might do, doesnt mean in increase in premium so why should it for an accidental snakebite.

Thanks
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Q Ball » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:50 pm

FYI:

Just bought the new Go/Weg magazine and they report that Marius will discuss this events on 6 April '08, Channel - kykNET on programme -Groen at 19:30
I like candlelight dinners, romantic walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Q Ball
SA Reptiles Member

Postby armata » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:21 pm

When I first started working at DeHoop, I checked out for nearest sources of antivenom (polyvalent). There was none at Bredasdorp, none at Swellendam. The nearest was Cape Town. After requests from Cape Nature both these local hospitals now stock antivenom. Boomslang venom is only held at Jo'burg.

Its worth checking out your local hospitals, don't take it for granted that they hold antivenom stocks.
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Hendre » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:54 pm

out of interest: what is the shelf life of antivenom on average?
A slithery slide on the wild side
Hendre
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Puff Adder Bite

Postby Drewbot » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:47 pm

Do you think Ionides really let himself get bit by a Puff Adder? It seems far too risky for an old man to let himself suffer the effects of an invenomation. I'm wondering if it wasn't just for show, and he fooled the author of "Snake Man"
Drewbot
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Puff Adder Bite

Postby Loslappie » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:53 pm

Drewbot wrote:Do you think Ionides really let himself get bit by a Puff Adder? It seems far too risky for an old man to let himself suffer the effects of an invenomation. I'm wondering if it wasn't just for show, and he fooled the author of "Snake Man"

If you go back to the book, he was bitten by the puff adder he caught while trying to tame it. He was stroking the puff adder and when the door slammed shut, the snake got a fright and bit him, and the author then recorded the symptoms etc. Remember that earlier in the book he states that he does have AV on hand.
Loslappie
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Venom Club