Reptapet Sun Plus Uv Tube 10.0

Agamas, geckos, lizards, monitors and skinks exotic to South Africa.

View Gallery

Re: Reptapet Sun Plus Uv Tube 10.0

Postby Drache613 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:55 am

Hello,

The problems with the Reptiglo 10 are that they emit low wavelength UVB which is close to UVC. They can be quite dangerous if they are too close & not used with bright white light. They also do not produce the favorable emissions for D3 synthesis.
Also, they have very poor UVB output emissions, & less UVA output than the Reptiglo 8 does.
I have worked with several people who have been using the light for awhile & their dragons fell prey to MBD. So far, the Hagen company has cooperated with further testing of their bulb, but so far, they have not corrected the bulbs yet.
I recommend the Reptisun 10 or the Reptiglo 8 or the Arcadia D3.
Good that the Reptapet is an ok bulb. Most of the flourescent tube bulbs are not. Alot of the ones made in china have been shown to emit UVC because they are made with the incorrect glass & or coating or gas inside of the tube.

Tracie
We miss you, Steve Irwin!!
Drache613
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mordeth » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:43 am

Hey

Thank you for the info. I have seen that my beardie is only happy for a while under the light, then he starts to hide and sleeping a lot. What will be the safest way to use this light? I have a Repti Sun 2 and a Sun Glo 100watt at the moment.
Mordeth
SA Reptiles Member

Postby petboy » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:56 pm

hi Mordeth
I do stock mecury vapour bulbs.
I have had one complaint already wrt the reptapet 10.0 tube lights. A customer of mine bought these elsewhere because I don't stock them and installed in their bearded dragon cages (replacing the exo terra ones which were old). Within in a few days they were very agitated. A few days more and they were showing distress & closing their eyes. End result was a vet visit forn infection in their eyes and it looks like one of them is now blind in the one eye. It seems to me as if these have the same problem as those lights from a few years back - too much & incorrect UV.

any one else experienced this?
petboy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mordeth » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:24 pm

His situation sounds simalar to what happend with me. Luckily I noticed something was wrong and removed the light, my beardie is fine now.

Stil looking for a mecury vapor bulb though, how much and what do you stick?
Mordeth
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Moreliahunter » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:55 am

Instead of guessing, why dont some of you get a UVa and UVb meter. Do some readings instead of making assumptions. Go and have a look at the exo terra web site. There is a video on there that explains the principles of light and heat when it comes to reptiles.
Moreliahunter
SA Reptiles Member

Postby petboy » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:24 pm

One of the suppliers has promised to loan me theirs - they're fiendishly expensive at the moment!
petboy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mordeth » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:14 pm

Myself am strugling to buy my own food at the moment, being a student means not having enough money, so assumptions is the only thing I can do at the moment. I have done a lot of research on the lighting for reptiles, but will look into there site, thank you. I believe you can never know to much about a topic.

petboy I would really like to know the prices and stock of mercury vapor bulbs you have.
Mordeth
SA Reptiles Member

Postby crazyerick » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:09 pm

Anymore feedback on this Reptapet tube? I'm stuck between Reptiglo 10 and this Reptapet Sun 10.
crazyerick
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Paul R » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:01 pm

I found that ReptaPet (that australian brand) gave my chameleons serious problems with their eyes.
After a week of having ot on they would start closing their eyes completely.
And I was using the right amoun for chameleons (5.0).
I will never buy ReptaPet ever again.
Exo terra is better, but for the most best uvb tubes buy Zoomed its alot more expensive but worth it.
Paul R
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Postby Stiffy » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:50 am

Hi everyone,

Sorry to say but I will never ever use one of these lights again. I used a Zoomed 10.0 light for my Frilled Lizard. After 8 months I replaced the Zoomed with a Reptapet 10.0 light. I noticed my Frilled was getting a bit passive after about 2 days but never thought it was the light, on the forth day she looked to be in allot of pain with her eyes closed and breathing rapidly, she did not move for about 2 days and I had to give her water with a syringe as she did not want to go drink water at all. Only six days after I replaced the light I got suspicious and went online to investigate. I red some similar stories, replaced the light with a Exoterra 10.0 and on day 8 she was almost back to normal again, her eyes took about another 5 days to recover, had allot of swelling but recovered fully, luckily !!!

Maybe it was a bad batch, but I'm certainly not gonna try and confirm that ! ! ! ! Pitty because their price is rather competitive....
Stiffy
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Exotic Lizards