My New Baby Leopard Gecko's

Agamas, geckos, lizards, monitors and skinks exotic to South Africa.

View Gallery

My New Baby Leopard Gecko's

Postby nev210 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:54 pm

Hi there , i bought myself these 2 little leo's, and i wonder if any one can maybe tell me what type the are , still very new to this :oops: :)

Also I have two big rocks in the cage and they hide under there the whole time ..... have to remove it to feed them.
Should i remove them for now?? Or is it best that they are in a natural environment.

And also when i tried to pick them up its quite hard for me as they dont seem to been handled before and are hissing and looking like they want to take a go at me. Any tips on how to handle them and make sure they are at there comfort, while there in the bucket when feeding i put my hand in and just leave it without moving , and then they do come closer... :smt016

In advance i would like to thank you all , as is said am really new to all this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nev210
SA Reptiles Member

Re: My New Baby Leapord Gecko's

Postby Ryuu » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:01 pm

Greeting Nev210

Great Looking Leopard Geckos. I am Not very good at seeing what morph they are.. but they look like they are Normals, It is Hard to Tell seeing as they will change quite a bit as they get older. They Definitely dont look like the ones that have pigment missing Like Blizzards or Albinos or so on.

I would advise keeping the Hides as they need to start feeling comfortable. the hissing and aggression will most likely go away with time just keep handling them often enough.

They will Mostly only Come out of the Hide at night as they are nocturnal.
Ryuu
SA Reptiles Member

Postby wadekilian » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:52 pm

Those are normals. As they are nocturnal, rather leave the food in overnight. Chances are they'll eat it when they're most active. If you're feeding mealworms you can just leave them deli cup (high enough to prevent the mealworms crawling out). Remember to dust their food and leave some calcium in their food bowl (or you can get a separate bowl / lid).

Try handling them over a bed to be safe. I bought quite a wild female that would jump out of my hand constantly (even though it was about a 1.5m drop). They will soon get used to you and tame down if they're handled often enough.
073 815 4741
BBM - 296fe3c5
wadekilian@yahoo.com
wadekilian
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:36 am

Remove the rocks. Rather take a flat piece of wood and rest that on a small stone so that they can burrow under it. If the rock wobbles at all you will crush them.

When you want to pick them up dont "attack them from above" like a bird would. Rather approach them from the front and let them climb onto your hand.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Re: My New Baby Leopard Gecko's

Postby nev210 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:08 am

Thanks for all the info, they are going better everday and eat about 8- 10 crickets aday, i asked the guy i got them from they said the leos are , lavender head geckos? Do you find such?

Have a good weekend
nev210
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Exotic Lizards