Again need urgent help please

Agamas, geckos, lizards, monitors and skinks exotic to South Africa.

View Gallery

Again need urgent help please

Postby Trentonskeeper » Wed May 01, 2013 7:52 pm

We went to check out a 2nd hand Vivarium today, found an ad on Gumtree and since we are looking for a 3rd tank to separate my Lemon and Butter I was after the tank. Needless to say this is the second time we have had this happen so we are done with Gumtree but we got there to see the tank and there were in fact 2 tanks and 2 dragons. I took one look at the persons house when they opened the door and decided it was not gonna happen but not wanting to be rude I said I would look anyway.

My heart broke on the spot for these 2 dragons. They have been living in squalor in a roach infested viv with filthy sand and 1 little 60w globe right up on the roof. The chap said proudly 'I feed them crickets once every 2 weeks and they eat the roaches when they get hungry." :shock: as if that was something to be proud of. I offered to take them for the price I was going to pay for the viv and he said 'you can only take them if you take the tanks.

I just could not leave them like that, so I took the horrible vivs and them, hoping I could come home and fumigate the vivs and rebuild them to make them usable. I spent all day trying to clean/remove bugs and eggs and make them livable but there is just no way I can do it. Hubby has said that despite all my hard work today to clean them there is no way I can do it so I am going to drop them off at the Dump tomorrow on the way to a Executive Car wash (bombed the car all afternoon as well) but I now am stuck with these 2 little guys who are lovely and pretty healthy looking considering their living circumstances. I am not putting them with my Dragons obviously and I have no extra Vivariums to house these guys and there is no extra cash ATM to go buy new Vivariums, hence the reason I was searching Gumtree so I don't know what to do with them.

Is there a Dragon Rescue group in SA? I have given them 3 baths today to drown the red mites on them and sprayed me down with Mite killer too and they are well natured, a little nervous but gentle and friendly. I want to rehome them with caring owners, wish I could keep them but I can't without to separate Vivariums which I can't buy right now so what can I do? I don't want to sell them, cash is not the issue here. I'm writing the money spent a writeoff on a lesson well learnt. I just want to find them Homes.

Can anyone help?

They are both male and can't be housed together as they fight viciously, the one boy has lost all but one toe on his back feet but he's a beauty none the less. I made he mistake of putting them together for a few secs while I cleared one tank today and got a place ready for him and they went at it instantly.

I have them in my small dog carriers ATM with basking lights on thru the gates but I can't keep them like is indefinitely. :(
Any ideas?

Thanks
Trentonskeeper
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Again need urgent help please

Postby Mr Venom » Wed May 01, 2013 8:08 pm

Hay there

Where are you from?

I know a lady that can help you out, she rescues Beardies on a daily basis.

Not a lot of gumtree people know what they are doing, and it is sad that a few new people in the hobby actually buy from gumtree and get livestock and enclosures like this. I'm glad that you rescued them.
1.1.0 B.C. Imperator
Mr Venom
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Trentonskeeper » Wed May 01, 2013 8:58 pm

Mr Venom wrote:Hay there

Where are you from?

I know a lady that can help you out, she rescues Beardies on a daily basis.

Not a lot of gumtree people know what they are doing, and it is sad that a few new people in the hobby actually buy from gumtree and get livestock and enclosures like this. I'm glad that you rescued them.

I am in Fourways in Jhb North. Thanks so much, would appreciate any help I can get. I am so disheartened after today, I really hate seeing any animal abused but these guys can't even woof in protest to their treatment. :smt009 Stupid people had another Dragon a German Giant and she told me how he eats Chocolate and drinks Brandy with her every night and she told me someone offered her R15 000 for it. :shock: have to say he is the biggest Dragon I have ever seen, HUGE. But still make Chocolate and Brandy? They she tells me he is vicious and bit someones fingers and he needed 16 stitches. Yoh...poor guy. Wish I could keep all these dragons I find safe and sound, I have been banned from Gumtree by a pissed off Hubby. :smt019
Trentonskeeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mr Venom » Wed May 01, 2013 11:01 pm

I think you're in luck. This lady is indeed also in fourways. PM me and ill give you her details.

German giants are amazing. Chocolate and brandy? Sad does not describe how I feel for these animals that are being tortured by these people.
1.1.0 B.C. Imperator
Mr Venom
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Herald_23 » Thu May 02, 2013 12:26 am

So proud to see there are still people in this hobby who put the animal's well-being first! Congrats to you and good luck.
The lion does not fear the jackal
Herald_23
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu May 02, 2013 8:34 am

Whether its Dragons, Corn snakes, Burmese pythons, puppies, children or girlfriends, some people will abuse something they have control over.

I am glad that some people have taken it on to save these neglected beasts.

Responding to a gumtree advert is never going to end well.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Lillypod » Thu May 02, 2013 8:53 am

It's very sad that so many people out there don't care, but much of that comes with ignorance. I've met people who thought the way they keep their animals is the correct way because that is what the petshop, their parents, friends or whoever told them, I've sort off made it a personal mission to educate people on how to care for their animals if I personally know how, I'll even show them my setups which differ from species to species as well as in complexity (tubs to displays). I breed and sell many animals as pets and make a point of it to talk to the people buying the animals (especially if it's their first time owning one) and also giving them care sheets. It does help to some degree as I have seen before, but there are still those that just don't care, so I either buy or beg for their animals which I either keep, sell or rehome depending on what I am able to do.
3-1-4 Leopard Gecko
1-1-2 Bearded Dragon
0-1 Brown House Snake
2-3 Ball Python
1-1 Western Hognose
1-1 Kenyan Sand Boa
3-2 Corn Snake
0-0-1 Bosc Monitor
0-1 Taiwanese rat snake
Lillypod
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Trentonskeeper » Thu May 02, 2013 11:14 am

Mr Venom did you get my PM? It's my first pm sent so I am not sure if I did it correctly. Really would lik to contact her today if possible. Thanks

Wish I knew more but I have found this forum a gold mine of info, eveytime I have a question I search for info and 9/10 times. It's a lovely forum, thanks for the help guys.
Trentonskeeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Trentonskeeper » Fri May 03, 2013 6:22 am

Does anyone else have the details for this lady? Or any other organization that rescues beardies?
Trentonskeeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby ColinWa » Fri May 03, 2013 9:35 am

http://www.freemewildlife.org.za/contacts/index.html Try these guys, give them a call and see if they'll help you. They do all sort of resceus including reptiles.
"I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man"
ColinWa
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Exotic Lizards