Some geckos and a lizard

Agamas, geckos, lizards, monitors and skinks exotic to South Africa.

View Gallery

Some geckos and a lizard

Postby Bushviper » Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:18 pm

This is a cute little Crested gecko. It is amazing to think that just over 10 years ago this species was believed to be extinct until it was rediscovered by some german herpers in New Caledonia.

Here is the largest gecko in the world and a relative of the Crested gecko. It is Rhacodactylus leacheanus and has a short stumpy tail that looks like a regenerated tail. The prices have come down from $20 000 each for the first ones on offer down to about $600 each for babies. This is a subadult which will still grow a bit bigger.

Lastly this is a Storrs monitor. It is one of the smaller species that occur in Australia. The strange thing about this lizard is that it was never legally imported into the US so exporting them is out of the question.

It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby neko » Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:47 pm

Stunning critters BV. Thanks for the pics. Any idea what the Rhacodactylus leacheanus' normal name is? The closest I can find is gargoyle gecko, but it seems most of the Rhacodactylus are called that.
It's peanutbutter jelly time! GET SOME!!
neko
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Corncrazy » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:21 pm

Great pics bv, the crested geckos are so so cute, i love them.
Dayne
Corncrazy
SA Reptiles Support

Postby KYNAN » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:24 pm

The are called Leachies or giant geckos overseas,there are two subspecies Rhacodactylus leachianus leachianus and Rhacodactylus leachianus henkeli (named after Wilhelm Henkel,the godfather of gecko husbandry,and the german that rediscovered the crested gecko)Gargoyle geckos are not giants,their latin name is Rhacodactylus auriculatus
KYNAN
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Hellemar » Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:15 pm

Hi...

About the Crested gecko... Is "Crested gecko" the same as Rhacodactylus ciliatus ?

So it was supposed to be extinct... Hmm... Aren´t scienists supposed to talk to eachother ??? Rhacodactylus ciliatus has been bred here in Sweden very well for at least 6-7 years and then it was a (edited word) starting to breed them so I can´t imagine they was supposed to be extinct - if so, they should probably has cost thousands of dollars getting a pair, but this (edited word) starting to breed them was a junkie that hasn´t got money to feed himself..

Henke :)
Survival is the only game worth winning...
Hellemar
SA Reptiles Support

Postby Bushviper » Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:46 am

Hellemar when Henkel and Seipp went to New Caledonia the R. ciliatus had not been seen for many years and was considered possibly extinct. They found them on some of the islands that had not been looked at before. Then some americans including Aaron Bauer went there and collected some to take to the States and breed them there.

From there on the breeding took off and today it is a common gecko. I was lucky enough to meet Henkel in Germany and hear the story of these and the Uroplatus gecko discoveries.

I have no idea what you talking about with this junkie gecko breeder in Sweden but looking at the time that you mention these geckos were pretty common by the time he would have gotten them. I also do not know how people get certain priorities worked out and possibly after his drugs he liked his geckos more than food.

Pinky the only name that I have found for R. leacheanus is Giant New Caledonian gecko. The gargoyle is a lot smaller and has a more robust body in comparison. I will look for some photos I have of them.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby froot » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:04 am

I believe that the Rachodactylus leachianus is a vegetarian eating soft fruits and the like. Incredible animal. Anybody have experience on their husbandry and breeding?
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby KYNAN » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:52 am

seen pics of one eating another so they are strictly veggies
KYNAN
SA Reptiles Member

Postby neko » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:04 pm

Very interesting topic. Thanks for clearing that up. I had no idea the crested was thought extinct at one stage. It's great that they were "re-discovered".
It's peanutbutter jelly time! GET SOME!!
neko
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Return to Exotic Lizards