Solar drops

Agamas, geckos, lizards, monitors and skinks exotic to South Africa.

View Gallery

Solar drops

Postby neko » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:41 pm

Hey guys,

Quick question.. Anyone use solar drops before? I saw some in a shop today. It's like a liquid UVB. I'm wondering if it's any good. Opinions please.
It's peanutbutter jelly time! GET SOME!!
neko
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Corncrazy » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:00 pm

Pinky, wat do these drops do? I have never seen them or heard of them :D
Dayne
Corncrazy
SA Reptiles Support

Postby froot » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:21 pm

Sounds dam interesting, is it a lightbulb with liquid in or what?
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:01 am

I assume that they would be about as effective as instant tan lotion. Both mimic real sunlight but they can never replace it.

I have my doubts about this product because it has been around for many years now and none of the big lizard breeders mention anywhere that they use this as a substitute for sunlight. Just my personal opinion as I dont want the solar drop company sueing me for saying that I have serious doubts about the effectiveness of their product.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby neko » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:30 am

lol @ BV

It's a liquid. It comes in a tiny little bottle with a dropper. Directions say administer one drop per animal per week regardless of size, and ensure that lots of calcium and water is available the next day. It converts the D3 into calcium needed for the body, and eliminates the need for UVB bulbs.. I've searched overseas forums for this, and it seems that overzealous keepers have been overdosing their animals by giving way too much per week . This is very specifically warned against in the directions, along with the symptoms of an overdose and everything.

Some info I found on http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.ph ... ts_id=1229

Description
Solar Drops are designed to deliver a regular controlled dose of natural dietary cholecalciferol (Vitamin D3) to your captive reptile. Solar Drops solution, are for diurnal (daytime active) species of reptile.

Avantages of Solar Drops
-Eliminates the need of expensive UVB lighting systems or other vitamin D3 supplements.
-Prevents and reverses Metabolic Bone Disease in captive Green Iguanas and other lizard, turtle and tortoise species.
-Uniquely palatable formulas for diurnal (daytime active) reptiles.
-Tested and proven at captive reptile breeding farms around the world.

Today there are a number of fluorescent lights designed to give out some artificial u.v.b. irradiation. These devices are made to a relatively low specification so that they are both safe and legal for domestic use. As a result, their u.v.b. output is ridiculously low. Using a special u.v.b. light meter, detection is zero at distances of more than 12 inches. For maximum reptile benefit, they would actually have to be able to sit on the light itself. If placed at the top of an average vivarium, the light's use is at best psychological and, at worse, useless for the reptile's physiology of cholecalciferol synthesis.

The makers of these u.v.b. lights claim to "help prevent" metabolic bone disease and to "strengthen and improve" shell growth in turtles. Note that they do not claim to cure these problems. Solar Drops will cure both of these conditions, effect successful reproduction and allow all your reptiles to thrive and not just survive.

Product Ingredients
Vegetable oil,
Cholecalciferol (Source of Vit D3),
dI Alpha-tocopherol acetate
neko

Postby alexander » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:15 pm

How much do these things cost?
Life is but a glimpse of triumph amongst incomprehensible failure.
alexander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby neko » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:55 pm

I've seen it for sale between R 160 and R 220 for a little bottle.
neko

Postby froot » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:58 pm

Aha! I see. Most lizard calcium suppliments contain vitamin D3 anyway. I'm not sure which will be more bio-efficient but at the end of the day good old sunshine is still the best.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Return to Exotic Lizards