Foil Heat Mat To Thermostat Wiring

Agamas, geckos, lizards, monitors and skinks exotic to South Africa.

View Gallery

Foil Heat Mat To Thermostat Wiring

Postby Luctor » Sun May 10, 2020 4:32 pm

First of all, hello everyone. New to the forum and reptiles in general.

I'll get straight to it. Searched the forums and googled the cr@p out of it and there's no definitive answers.

I need help wiring my foil heat mat to a thermostat. I've tried, and failed. (And electrocuted myself in the process)

The unit powers up fine, no errors. All the settings are correct (as far as I can tell). But the mat doesn't heat up.
It does work though - did a quick test by wiring it directly to the plug and it heated up. (Then forgot it was plugged in and grabbed the exposed wires and got electrocuted [no superpowers])

Thermostat: Microcomputer temperature controller STC-1000 (fairly popular it seems)

Heat mat: Foil, 20cm x 35cm

Purpose: Juvenile leopard gecko temp control.

Viv: 60x60 chipboard box.

I've attached pics of the unit and wiring diagram. Power comes from a 3 prong plug but only 2 wires connected- no earth (don't think the problem is there as the unit powers up fine). I've connected the heat mat to the unit by plugging in the 2 metal things at the end of the mat's wires.

I'm not a fan of electricity and wiring sh!t, mostly because I'm a complete retard when it comes to this stuff. I thought this would be plug and play. Any help would be massively appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Luctor
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Foil Heat Mat To Thermostat Wiring

Postby SamkeLamula » Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:02 am

Hey, I'm currently in the same predicament. And I've looked everywhere for the answer without any luck. I see this post was a little over a year ago, did you manage to figure it out? If you did please tell me how, any help would be so appreciated.
SamkeLamula
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Exotic Lizards