Help needed (Keeping bearded dragons and Leopard geckos)

Agamas, geckos, lizards, monitors and skinks exotic to South Africa.

View Gallery

Postby Rob » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:41 pm

A trick we have used at the shop which made life way easier is to put the crickets into a small stainless dog waterbowl. You can then dust them and place the bowl in the cage. We tilt it and lean it against the side of the cage and the dragons dive bomb in.
They begin to associate the bowl with food. Works very well.

I came up with this method all on my own, right Trayton? ;)

Another trick Trayton devised (perhaps others do this too), is to take the lid off the 5L cricket tubs and turn the lid offcentre (half a turn) if that makes sense. So you now have 4 corners open. You then tilt it so one corner is at the bottom just above the bowl, and you blow gently into the top hole. The crickets cant stand it and come screaming out the bottom hole and pour into the bowl.
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:35 am

Rob I have only one word for you .... Aquafresh!
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Rob » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:51 pm

I shouldve seen that one coming :)
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby swazi » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:41 pm

Thanks Rob.

The little guy I got from you is doing very well, eats everything in sight. The other two are not that easy, still very afraid and not interested in anything but crickets and only nibble on one or two a day. I am trying Bushvipers advice, sunning them outside for a few hours every day, hopefully things will improve.

BTW, the first person who comes up with "quiet crickets" is going to be VERY, VERY wealthy.
Swazi
Women are Angels...and when someone breaks our wings...we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick..we are flexible like that.
swazi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:46 pm

Thanks Swazi, i got very nervous when you said some werent doing well. Glad to hear it wasnt the one from mine.
I think i mentioned in the PM, try get hold of Electrolize by Exoterra, works a charm with dragons battling to eat etc.

Anyone else got a success story using this stuff?
Rob Deans

Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kristo » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:56 pm

Me!!!.....i have....

Used it on a tiny beardie which was brought into the shop by a kid......
It had broken ribs and hadn't eaten in ages, not to mention.......
he was TINY!!

That same fellow is now doing extremely well at one of our "regulars" house!!

The stuff is fantastic!
"The prey equals in importance to the preditor and the preditor to that of the prey!"
Kristo
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:41 pm

I have heard of quiet crickets but breeding them is a problem. The males need to serenade the females or else they are not interested. It would seem as if this project has failed because this info goes back at least 10 years and I dont see any on the market.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Nasicornis » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:09 pm

I have never heard of silent crickets, people must be keeping this very quiet, not a peep or chirp about it ever.

They are quite easy to produce, take the males and pull off it's chirpy thingies, quiet crickets. P.s only do this with offspring you are not intending to breed in the future as it seems that mute crickets are not all too sexy for the females.
No dangerous reptiles, only dangerous keepers
Nasicornis
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby elapid » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:46 pm

If you spray the males with WD40 (lubricant) they cant make noise. hehe

ps. this is just a joke, don't do it
You become responsible forever for what you have tamed.
elapid
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Previous

Return to Exotic Lizards