Hello, from Georgia!

Accounts and photos of non-captive reptiles in their natural habitat in South Africa. Try to record with your account details such as time of day/night, temperature, weather conditions, lunar cycle, sex, rough age of reptile, and so on.

View Gallery

Hello, from Georgia!

Postby cherper » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:53 pm

Hello! I'm not sure that this is correct forum to quickly introduce myself and ask for some help. My name is Cary Howe and I'm from Augusta, GA USA. I'm an avid field herper in my kneck of the woods and will be in SA in a couple of weeks. I was wondering if there is anyone here who would be willing to spend a few hours with me in the field to show me some of your herps to photograph? My company is sending me on this trip as a reward so I wanted to use this "once in a lifetime" opportunity to find some animals I will probably never see again. The three locales I will be in are Cape Town on March 20-21, Sabi Sands March 22-24, and Joburg on 25th and 26th. Any help would be appreciated and I would be willing to compensate a nominal amount if necessary.

Sincerely, I hope to meet some of you while there!

Cary
cherper
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Hello, from Georgia!

Postby kfc223 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:04 pm

Welcome Cary.

If you are keen to do some herping in Cape Town we could organize a nice day trip to go herping with some of the Cape Town keepers.

Just give me a shout and I will see what we can sort out.
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chameleon Company » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:03 pm

Good day Cary

I am currently completing my Masters in Reptile Ecology and my research site is in the Free State (Roughly 1 hours drive from Johannesburg).

If you are keen I am on site almost daily so you could come along? I have documented 16 snakes species, 4 lizards and 1 terrapin species so you will be able to take photos of a few species.

Paul
2:2 Pseudaspis cana
1:2 Dasypeltis scabra

And yes they are all on permit.
Chameleon Company
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:23 am

There you go Cary two good places to go to. Enjoy it.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby cherper » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:47 pm

Thanks,guys! This is much appreciated! I'l PM you to talk about the details. I'll hope to have lots of photos to post later. You all have been very helpful.

Cary
cherper
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Indigenous reptile observation and identification