A Warning Do not let this happen to you.

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

Re: A Warning Do not let this happen to you.

Postby drummer » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:42 pm

oooh!

"Next week on SaReptiles - the soapie... will ursuala get her money back?... will the snakes drop babies?... will Mongoose confess to killing a fiskii?...is Arcadies actually an undercover natcon agent?...stay tuned! to be continued..."
what the hell is wrong with me?
drummer
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Matt Robinson » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:38 pm

HAhahaha nice :lol:
Matt Robinson
SA Reptiles Member

Postby joef_conner » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:40 pm

Post his details! We need to know who not to deal with.
joef_conner
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Postby steve » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:51 pm

i say worm out the rats, lets keep this hobby clean. my opinion.
regards
vipers?
steve
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bundu Boy » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:04 pm

Send the @sshole an email saying that if he does not pay up by such and such date that you will....

...either
1 - open a case of theft with the police
2 - contact a debt collector and send them to collect payment
3 - name and shame him on this website
4 - pop by his place at any time

I personally would go with options 1-3. Give the guy a chance to make good, WE ARE YOUR WITNESSES....

Karma... he's gonna get it....
Bundu Boy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:43 pm

I know the guy (No im not posting his name) He has a lot to lose if he does not settle you Ursula so lets see what happens in the next couple days. He would be silly not to pay you.
Funnily enough I have been trying to get hold of him for the past week too as he was supposed to purchase 2 snakes from me on Monday, I had another buyer asking for them anyway so theyre with him now.

I really hope he comes through for you, our mutual friend told me how you were at pains to part with these snakes, I know they were of particular sentimental value to you and then this happens, its not fair. But people can only do this type of thing for so long, it always catches up to them.
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby babyball » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:16 pm

I also know the guy. He is away at the moment and havent been able to get through to him either. As rob said, he has a lot to lose and has been in the herp culture for over 30 years. Enough of us know him for him to not disappear. Give him a week until he has returned and then if he still hasnt co-operated you can go through the other channels.
1.2.0 Ball Python (2x normal, 1x pastel)
1.1.0 Double Het. (Blue/Grey x Albino) Brown House Snakes
babyball
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:04 am

I dont think it should be a case of trying to work out who it is, give him a little longer, since it appears true he was away for a while, and see if he honours his agreement with Ursula. Its not a riddle.
True he hasnt been too upfront so far, but he used the same excuses with me so perhaps at least some are true. As for the mother passing away I cant comment.

For now I say put away your torches and pitchforks and give him an opportunity to sort it out. People do silly things when they run short of money, lets hope it sorts itself out.
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby URSULA » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:06 am

Thank you to all of you for your comments.
I was very attached to those snakes and yes it was not a easy thing for me to sell them however I did believe they were going to a good guy. I will say that I do still believe that there might be a chance to resolve this whole thing. I've said before that I was more than willing to let him pay them off and will still accept a agreement like with him as long as the agreement is honoured.
He could be a good guy fallen onto hard times and that I can understand.
URSULA
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:31 pm

He could be a good guy fallen onto hard times and that I can understand.

Ummm - Not a chance! Going around making false promises about making payment time after time can only be the work of a scam artist. To avoid this label all he needed to do was pick up the phone and keep you posted on what was happening before you got the urge to give him a call. Simple!

Unusual events in someones life amidst a deal always raises an eyebrow for me. "I was in an accident" or "I was robbed" or "My mom has moved and has sold the house and we have to find somewhere to stay" or "my dog was cybering and thrashed his mielie all over my keyboard and now I can't make bank payments", are stories I've had to sit and listen to before. (ok bar the last one) Same pathetic neanderthal behaviour over and over again and it really gets my back up. AND THEN, after trying your damdest to make sure your precious animals go to a good home you see them for sale in the classifieds!

Ursula, I could learn alot about karma from you that's for sure.

What I would do now? Well you seem to have drummed up some decent support here from people that know this person, capitalise on that and get them to put pressure on the bugger.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Serpy » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:46 pm

Froot, before you jump to conclusions about the guy. I've been in contact with him the last week, i've bought snakes from him and i've paid some of that money into Ursula's account. He's not a bad guy at all.
A good burper is a good herper.
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby joef_conner » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:52 pm

Ya I know him to and he's helped me out more than once when it comes to payments.
joef_conner
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Postby froot » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:08 pm

Serpy that's a very common trait with scam artists, they are very nice guys. I probably know him too and have dealt with him myself and with this in mind Ursula's experience has left me very disappointed. The unpleasantness of it could so easily have been avoided with a pinch of common decency but this was obviously too much to ask. Where did the thinking stop?
Maybe I'm just bitter from a previous experience where someone saw my trust as an opportunity to take advantage and it was for a large sum of money, and the precession of events and delay tactics through this experience was a mirror image to Ursula's.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Serpy » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:34 pm

Well i don't know his exact financial status, perhaps he's just short on money, there's more important things in life than reptiles. I've paid some money directly into Ursula's account, so no scamming here.
A good burper is a good herper.
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:14 pm

The bottom line is if you do not have the decency to keep the other party informed after you are in breach of contract then I wonder about that person. I have had numerous people owe me money but they keep in touch and let me know how and when they are going to pay it back and they stick to it. If they cannot make it they phone and WE make other arrangements. It is not a case of "well I dont have it, so be happy with what you get, when you get it". That is how people get visits from debt collectors and the sheriff of the court.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions