rinkhanls vs. Snouted cobra

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

rinkhanls vs. Snouted cobra

Postby Thehunter » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:09 pm

So I'm curious, which one would be more dangerous? snouted cobra or rinkhals?
Make the most of what you have.
Thehunter
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Re: rinkhanls vs. Snouted cobra

Postby Fooble » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:17 pm

Snouted.
Of course the bites would vary person to person.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Hustler » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:22 pm

The one that just bit you.
The man who has no imagination has no wings. -Muhammad Ali

You can live every day like a man. But if you do not die like a man then it all means nothing.
- Egan Inoue
Hustler
SA Reptiles Member

Postby vinnige_fanie » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:32 pm

Haha hustler! good answer ROFL!!!
vinnige_fanie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby dasie » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:57 pm

The snoutie its venom is more potent
dream as you will live forever
live like you will die today
dasie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Tails'nScales » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:26 pm

I've dealt with both these species before and out of my experience I found that the Snouted cobra showed a lot more aggression towards me than the Rinkhals.
i7 990X @ 5.0Ghz Antec Cooled | ASUS ROG R3 Formula | 12GB Dominators 6x2GB @ 1866Mhz | ASUS ROG MATRIX GTX580 SLI
Tails'nScales
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Puff the Magic Adder » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:09 am

I stand under correction here: Naja annulifera (Snouted Cobra) venom is generally considered slightly more potent than Naja haje (Egyptian Cobra). I bring that up because N.annulifera was once classified as a N.haje subspecies, so I am making a very cautious assumtpion that their venom is vaguely similar (I don't know what the LD-50 for N.annulifera is).
The LD-50 for Naja haje venom is 1.15mg/kg (subcutaneous) and 0.96mg/kg (intravenous) compared with the Rinkhals which is 2.65mg/kg (subcutaneous) and 1.5mg/kg (intravenous). Both Snouted and Egyptian Cobras have much higher venom yields than the Rinkhals as well. What all that basically means is that if I were a mouse I'd rather get bitten by a Rinkhals than by a Snouted Cobra, though I think that can safely be applied to humans as well. This is all laboratory stuff, but in a real life situation so much depends on the actual bite, the individual snake and the person getting bitten, so Hustler's reply is pretty much spot on.
Puff the Magic Adder
SA Reptiles Member

Postby WW » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:49 pm

The LD50 values really mean very little, in that they don't translate well to human lethality. Add to that the fact that even individual snakes from a single population can differ several-fold in their venom lethality to mice (and for that matter mice of different strains can also differ several-fold in their susceptibility to venom), and these figures mean very little, especially when the differences are only 2-fold as here.

The only real guide to a species' danger is clinical experience from a substantial number of human bite cases. I don't have any published studies or figures at hand, but I am pretty sure that on average snoutie bites are much more severe and life-threatening than rinkhals bites, although, as always, your mileage may vary - someone correct me if I am wrong.

And Hustler is of course spot-on.
patience n. the vice of accepting the unacceptable, thereby encouraging further occurrences
WW
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BOOGY » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:43 pm

Getting back to the original question. More dangerous or more venomous?
Both ways I would put my money on the snouties. Snouteds attetude with its bigger venom yield, in my book, is more dangerous. Arent they?
Reptile Roulette - JUST SAY NO!
Burger Loots
BOOGY
SA Reptiles Member

Postby MacAdder » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:14 am

Hustler wrote:The one that just bit you.

Agreed the more dangerous of the two is the one that attaches itself to a limb or finger.
MacAdder
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Postby Bushviper » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:55 am

Deaths from Rinkhals are rare although not unheard of. If you take the number of Rinkhals removed from houses in just the past month and then count the number of Snouted cobras removed in the same time the Rinkhals does seem to be more prevalent in close proximity to humans. Although bites from Rinkhals are rarely recorded the Snouted cobras do bite more people and animals and I would thus consider them more dangerous.

If you look at the toxicity of the venom the Snouted does give a potentially more lethal bite than the Rinkhals.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby BOOGY » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:03 pm

Thought so. Gota love those snouties.
Reptile Roulette - JUST SAY NO!
Burger Loots
BOOGY
SA Reptiles Member

Postby yoson10 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:21 am

WW wrote:The LD50 values really mean very little, in that they don't translate well to human lethality. Add to that the fact that even individual snakes from a single population can differ several-fold in their venom lethality to mice (and for that matter mice of different strains can also differ several-fold in their susceptibility to venom), and these figures mean very little, especially when the differences are only 2-fold as here.

The only real guide to a species' danger is clinical experience from a substantial number of human bite cases. I don't have any published studies or figures at hand, but I am pretty sure that on average snoutie bites are much more severe and life-threatening than rinkhals bites, although, as always, your mileage may vary - someone correct me if I am wrong.

And Hustler is of course spot-on.

This... The ld50 is an absurd test that means little/nothing to humans..ALL animals would have a different ld50 chart for different snakes and testing it on mice and then proclaiming that the results would be the same with humans[ or dogs,cats, cattle, elephants, lizards etc] is just stupid... The ONLY credible way to find out the quote on quote "most venomous snakes to humans" would be to either test it on humans or maybe chimps[ obviously impossible for humans and extremely cruel for chimps] and even then you would have to factor in that venom composition from the same type of snake can vary tremendously across its range.. Ex A indian cobra from nepal may be more/less toxic than an Indian Cobra from India or Sri Lanka... Even through they are all Indian Cobras... the toxicity would vary and in some instances it could be by alot.

I have looked at a ton of snake bite studies on humans and I think I could make a rough estimate about which snakes are the most venomous to humans.. Of course this is an extremely dumb/inaccurate also and like I said testing it on humans would be the only way but its the best I can do.
yoson10
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:59 pm

The one that had the most snakes for breakfast. End of story
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sensei » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:49 am

Hi all.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the Egyptian cobra just the old (outdated?) Name for the Snouted cobra? Just a thought.
Sensei
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to General Discussions