Tales of scales

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

Tales of scales

Postby Nasicornis » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:29 am

Good morning guys and gals. It’s been a while since my last visits but hopefully my state of absence is a thing of the past from now on.
I have a little project I am currently working on and can only get help I need on here. Working on a book “Tales of scales”. My vision for this is as follows. The book is going to be about call outs mostly but other interesting reptile or weird and or funny encounters. It is going to be light read. The nice thing about it is the fact that because it will be completely assembled with short stories. You can carry it with and keep it in the car, briefcase, carry bag or whatever else. This way can quickly cram one or two stories in should have an open 5 to 10 minutes, this is nice because the suspense will be constant as there will be no dragging out of a specific story board with a plot so the suspense is generated by “What is the next story going to be about?”
My sister is quite the artist so she is going to provide the quirky cartoon art front pages for each individual story and also a doddle here and there throughout that specific story.
I would really love to get as much input and stories from guys (gals) as what I can. You can either decide and just give me an indication in the e-mail (should you decide to submit 1 or 10000) rather you would like me to keep it anonymous or give me the permission to mention the actual submitted names. If you do decide to use the names of all or some of the role players involved, PLEASE ensure that the other parties are not opposed to this. I also want to try and keep the stories as unedited as I possibly can to give the book more dept and sustenance. Should any part of any story need to be edited, the edited copy will be returned to the sender for approval.
I am REALY EXCITED ABOUT THIS. So is any of you guys decide to assist in this please forward the Tales of your scales to Tales.of.scales@gmail.com
The rate upon which the submissions are received will give an estimated time for the project to mature.
Please contact me on the given mail should you also just have enquiries in this regard.

Thanks again, URGENTLY awaiting your input.
P.s This is not restricted to South Africa. ALL members are encouraged to submit. “hint hint”
Quintin
No dangerous reptiles, only dangerous keepers
Nasicornis
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Re: Tales of scales

Postby Smeegle » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:30 am

I think that is a great idea!

We had a braai and a few beers after one of the reptile handling courses once, and it was fascinating to listen to stories from the okes that do callouts, I have never laughed so much before!
One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living. We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon instead of enjoying the roses that are blooming outside our windows today.
- Dale Carnegie
Smeegle
SA Reptiles Member

Postby armata » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:59 pm

Sounds good - you will hopefully get a good cross section of species and also some colourful characters. Certianly have some interesting ones from the Klein Karoo. Do you have a publisher? You don't mention photos - but I guess cartoons would work well. If your sister can work from a photo for example.
Nice initiative hope it works out well.
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata

Postby RJG » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:49 pm

I LOVE this concept!maybe you could add an interesting fact about the species after each short story!this could make it funny,exciting and educational so herpers and non herpers could learn and enjoy and understand the ideas and activities of herping!eg after a short story of bob and john catching a egg eater you could put in a little did you know box that egg eaters regurgitate the egg shell after consumption!and there's many facts per species so you could have 5 egg eater stories with 5 facts!!

That's just an idea/sugestion!
RJG
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Nasicornis » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:45 pm

Loving the suggestions. Really think we can make this work. Really want to get as much people on board as possible. No publisher yet. Was thinking maybe get it started first and see how it evolves. Now, if I could only get some stories... ;)
No dangerous reptiles, only dangerous keepers
Nasicornis

Postby armata » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:07 pm

I am sure wou will get stories and I guess they will need a lot of editing i.e. to maintain a flow as it were. You would also need an introductory chapter, fairly brief, as to why we rescue snakes and what we do with them. You could explain the permit system, where it applies, and maybe a list/summary of do's and don'ts for the public at large.
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata

Postby RJG » Sun May 26, 2013 11:33 pm

How is this project progressing?
RJG
SA Reptiles Member

Return to General Discussions