Your opinion on Rattlesnake Republic

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

Re: Your opinion on Rattlesnake Republic

Postby J.C » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:17 pm

Agreed Gwapo.
Never mistake my silence for ignorance, calmness for acceptance or kindness for weakness.
J.C
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Durban Keeper » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:26 am

At one point what started out of passion turns to greed. I understand the demand for our reptiles abroad. We have amazing snakes. But go out there, collect two pairs. Keep them, breed them and then export your offspring annually. Work. Learn. Teach others how. Sadly this is very seldom the case.

With no disrespect to the posters of these threads, I love seeing people working with indigenous snakes, but where do you think these originated from?

www.sareptiles.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=128&t=29020

Or these snakes which are hardly ever or even have never been bred locally?

www.sareptiles.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=28863

One guess!

Dean.
Life is but a dream for the dead.
Durban Keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Hoss » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:56 pm

Yup was thinking the same thing DK, and some folks are virtual high-five'in these foreigners on their collections while dissing some local youngster for going out and catching a BHS.
Hoss
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:33 am

Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby J.C » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:55 pm

Very true DK.

I thought about this as well the other night!

What bothers me is the following. Why collect the snakes,breed them then sell them overseas. Okay,I do get the money factor,but nobody gets any of these amazing dwarf Bitis available then goes into nature and go catch their own! If one goes on like that there will be nothing left to go back to.. I wonder how many guys out there breed and sell locally,to those people I want to give a hi5!
Never mistake my silence for ignorance, calmness for acceptance or kindness for weakness.
J.C
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:07 pm

People breed the Dwarf Bitis and export CB specimens overseas for many reasons.

The Europeans want CB stock to the disbelief of many users here.
Give a European collector Bitis pergenyi ,Bitis schneideri and even Bitis caudalis ( from somewhere like Springbok) they will pay a premium without question , spare no expense on caging , décor and climate control and WILL breed the animals. Do they same to Jannie from Boksburg who will only pay R450 ( and swop his yellow Anaconda) for a non feeding neonate and keep it on newspaper in a plastic lunch box and kills the snake because he has 36 other corn snakes and 9 different species of rat/corn/milk/ball pythons. And then of course there's Hennie from the South Coast of KZN who wonders why his caudalis poached from Namaqualand dies when the humidity levels hit 80%.

Id rather see CB stock exported knowing they will go on and be bred keepers who understand their importance ,than get send around this place to every Jan, Koos and Pietie only to have them killed from the "keepers" own studipity or plain lack of knowledge.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Ruan Stander » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:52 am

You make a good point Fooble, although not all South African keepers are that type.
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:03 am

Okay first off, signing that petition wont stop those idiots from catching and killing the rattlers, it will just mean that it wont be aired anymore and uneducated hillbilly types will have to find some other idiotic program to watch. A program i really did enjoy was outback wrangler. Their approach to conservation and kulling is precise and methodical. Instead of simply killing as many animals as they could find, they limited the amount of successful breeding. I particularly enjoyed the episode when he found that taipan in his shed and then went and released it.

These pigheaded rattlesnake republic guys will get whats coming to them, i find it incredibly stupid how they laugh and compare how pig their scars are and compare how much mobility they have left in their fingers from being bitten, so far i have seen one episode and i dont feel like having to watch that cr@p again.
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Durban Keeper » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:42 am

Now that was entertaining! Fooble's got it spot on I'm afraid. I have only ever met one person locally who I would call a true passionate dwarf Bitis breeder. Make no mistake, I would love to see more indigenous bred locally. It seriously is a case though of people not commiting to a species and half arsing about their husbandry..

Sorry for going off topic.
Life is but a dream for the dead.
Durban Keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ruan Stander » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:02 am

I agree. I see far too much poor husbandry, it's very sad. I always feel so sorry for the animals.
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jka » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:26 am

Fooble wrote:People breed the Dwarf Bitis and export CB specimens overseas for many reasons.

The Europeans want CB stock to the disbelief of many users here.
Give a European collector Bitis pergenyi ,Bitis schneideri and even Bitis caudalis ( from somewhere like Springbok) they will pay a premium without question , spare no expense on caging , décor and climate control and WILL breed the animals. Do they same to Jannie from Boksburg who will only pay R450 ( and swop his yellow Anaconda) for a non feeding neonate and keep it on newspaper in a plastic lunch box and kills the snake because he has 36 other corn snakes and 9 different species of rat/corn/milk/ball pythons. And then of course there's Hennie from the South Coast of KZN who wonders why his caudalis poached from Namaqualand dies when the humidity levels hit 80%.

Id rather see CB stock exported knowing they will go on and be bred keepers who understand their importance ,than get send around this place to every Jan, Koos and Pietie only to have them killed from the "keepers" own studipity or plain lack of knowledge.

We can just feel the emotion in that reply, the intensity the pure angry. You have been deeply touched by it!
Evolution is an imperfect and often violent process. A battle between what exists, and what is yet to be born.

-Owned by scalybunni-
jka
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:40 am

We have two subjects going here. Lets stick to the rattlesnake republic one and not confuse the issue.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby macro vipera » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:21 pm

Absolutely agree the show is cr@p and has nothing to do with conservation same as the show where they go around shooting aligators.They would be able to recieve permits from their wildlife board without much trouble considering the television backing (its all about the ratings).Why dont they make a show about shooting wild horses or neibourhood cats then they could get some perspective on what we are talking about.
macro vipera
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Roadtrash » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:05 am

A lot of the states here in the US have outlawed the collection of rattlesnakes for the purpose of these stupid shows but some people are still doing it. If caught they face stiff fines and in some cases they can end up in prison. There are a couple of places that still do the roundups but the snakes have to be returned to the wild and not killed to make belts and all that kind of stuff.
Florida requires 1000 hours training with a mentor before being able to keep hots but some states do not require any training at all. There are also some states that do not allow the keeping of hots at all unless it is by an accredited university. It would seem they would all get together and create one regulation for all states but that requires politicians to get involved and we all know how that would turn out.
The main problem over here is that most children are taught by their parents to fear snakes when they are young to keep them from getting injured or killed. This is because people don't understand snakes and they fear them and transmit that fear to their children. It's too bad that schools or some other venue can't get involved in teaching our young people that snakes are not evil creatures that need to be killed.
Over the years I have caught many venomous snakes here to show people and explain to them that they are a much needed animal to help with controlling the different rodents and insects that can plague our homes and farms. Also I try to explain to farmers and homeowners if they keep their yards and fields cleaned up and not scatter trash and junk around they won't have a snake problem around their homes. But one man can only do so much and there doesn't appear to be any organizations that want to get involved in the snake issue. In the Bible Belt, as we call it, people tend to think of snakes as evil because of the snake in the story of Adam and Eve. And it is almost impossible to change the minds of these people.
There are at the same time some people that do try and help educate people on tv. I can't think of the mans name now but he did a show about the eastern diamondback and explained how they are not the dreaded demon that it is thought to be and also explains how we are destroying their habitat and causing them to live in our areas or perish.
Well, I guess I have ranted enough about this subject and I agree about this stupid show that is on the tv. It really needs to be taken off or at the very least they could put something on that shows and educates the people about the need to keep and preserve our snakes in the wild.
Thanks for allowing me a place to rant, I really do enjoy this forum.
Roadtrash
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Da Twista » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:45 am

What's the difference between killing rattlers for their skin and killing cattle for their meat? I'm against this show, I do not watch it, It's against my belief. However, complaining to DSTV won't stop the issue, the Americans need to put laws in place to stop this kind of animal abuse. Sure thing, rattlers are in the wild, cattle are bred for the very purpose to get eaten by us. So in a sense this is the whole debacle vegetarians have when they form organizations to stop the killing of animals. It hasn't been stopped yet even though meat is a food source while belts are not.

Just briefly thinking about the rattler population as it's quite a problem in certain parts of the USA, cal kings are another alternate solution to help the rattler population. But then again they will need to consider the effects of a blooming cal king population which is in fact harmless to humans whereas rattlers are not.

I have a strong feeling due to to rattlers being venomous and cause a couple of deaths a year in their country, they have no real issue with removing these snakes from the wild.

But I will not in no way endorse a couple of idiots doing this to any type of snake, venomous or not.
Da Twista
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions