Snake Hooks

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

Re: Snake Hooks

Postby Aaxel » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:47 am

I make my own hooks, and I need to make myself another, so I have spent some time thinking what the best shape will be. In general, the snakes I catch are mainly under a meter and tend to be either quite fast, or painfully small. So, I was considering a V shape with a longer end to it, so I can also use it for 'flipping'. Any thoughts?
never argue with idiots, they will drag you down their level then beat you with experience
Aaxel
SA Reptiles Member

Postby croteseeker » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:26 am

Sounds as if you are on the right track....A V-shaped hook should be good for handling small elapids, as well as flipping boards, logs, what have you...

To BV, I can only agree. I also use primarily U-shaped hooks. I just don't profess to understand some of your handling situations better than a local. (not saying that you do. :lol:)

As an aside, I find it hard to speak on the internet without sounding like A) an #$%&##, or B) a suck-up. :lol: I can assure you that neither is the case, but I can understand the leanings that some people may have, one way or the other..... :lol:
" a squat, scaly worm with, 'don't touch,' on one end and, 'that's why,' on the other."

-Thomas Palmer
croteseeker
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Aaxel » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:54 pm

What do you mean by'what have you'?
never argue with idiots, they will drag you down their level then beat you with experience
Aaxel
SA Reptiles Member

Postby croteseeker » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:51 pm

Aaxel wrote:What do you mean by'what have you'?

Et cetera... In English, the best translation might be, "Whatever else." Sorry for causing confusion.
" a squat, scaly worm with, 'don't touch,' on one end and, 'that's why,' on the other."

-Thomas Palmer
croteseeker
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:17 am

I picked up my stump ripper from Kev last night and I'm super chuffed. Very solid! Tried by best to bend the hook and shaft by hand, but it's impossible.

I will post some pics when I get out to the field and use it.

Thanx a lot Kev for the effort and the great price. Very reasonable.

I also had a look at some of the other hooks he imported (see pics above). If they're not all taken, I urge you guys to contact him if you're looking for some great kit!
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Previous

Return to General Discussions