Some Kruger National Park photographs

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

Some Kruger National Park photographs

Postby Sfourie » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:53 am

Hi all

Thought I’d share some of my Kruger National Park photographs of the last couple of months.

Burchell’s Zebra (Equus burchelli) in the water at Renosterpan.

Southern Ground Hornbill (Tockus leucomelas) having some trouble with his lunch at Afsaal.

Looking right down the throat of an Elephant (Loxodonta Africana)

Damn shame about the twig in the way of this young bull.

Grey Heron (Ardea cinerea) in flight (1) at Lake Panic.

Grey Heron in flight (2).

Do you notice something unusual about this Kudu (Tragelaphus strepsiceros) apart from that it has extraordinary deep curls?

Look closer. This bull has grown a third horn just above the chevrons. It is an unusual occurrence and it is only the second time I have been privileged enough to see it.

The Wehr dam. This dam is situated on the S114.

The view from Renosterkoppies. Col James Stevenson Hamilton and his wife Hilda is buried on these koppies.

Regards

Stefan
A Shangaan legend states that any man resting or sleeping in the shade of a baobab will become eccentric and forever be enslaved by Africa and its wilderness, guess it's too late for me.
Sfourie
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Some Kruger National Park photographs

Postby Bushviper » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:28 pm

That Kudu is a Unicorn. I wonder if this would be sought after by trophy hunters?
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Warren Klein » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:18 pm

Nice action pics!
An inaccurate naturalist is a pest and a danger, forever perpetuating illogical deductions and landing later naturalists in trouble. Damm and blast them all to hell in the most painful way. C.J.P. Ionides
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Postby MrG » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:25 pm

We recently did the Earth Scienst course in the KNP with the Clive Webber. Also went along to some of the birding weekends. Great place.
MrG
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Sfourie » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:35 am

Bushviper it would most certainly be a unique trophy but I doubt whether there are many hunters that start the day of by dreaming of a three horned Kudu bull. It is more shot by chance with the hunter often only noticing the third horn when the animal is down.

In terms of trophy size this bull has quality. It has exceptionally deep curls. I estimate the longest horn should be 59 - 60 inches. Rowland Ward minimum entry is 53 5/8 inches. Even then this bull still has a lot of growing to do. You can see the horn tips still shape inwards. Generally in a fully mature bull those tips would straighten or possibly even shape out again.
A Shangaan legend states that any man resting or sleeping in the shade of a baobab will become eccentric and forever be enslaved by Africa and its wilderness, guess it's too late for me.
Sfourie
SA Reptiles Member

Return to General Discussions