Belongs in a museum!

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

Belongs in a museum!

Postby Bernice » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:43 am

A friend from work was helping her grandparents pack up their house to move to a retirement village, and they found this! instead of just throwing it away, she gifted it to me! I have great friends :D
Her grandfather worked as a surveyor, and apparently this was part of the issue! pitty the vials of antivenin are no longer in there... Does anyone know what the 'permanganate of potash' tables was for?

Happiness is a fat mouse and a warm rock!

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Belongs in a museum!

Postby Bushviper » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:48 am

The blade was to cut yourself so that you could suck out the venom. (Didn't work) The "permanganate of potash" or potassium permanganate was rubbed into the cuts to neutralize the venom (also didn't work). The little belt was to use as a tourniquet (very dangerous for the wrong bites). Its a pity the instructions have been lost.

You really have nice friends.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby bradmiller » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:10 pm

nice piece of history - Johan Marais will be very interested in that!
You know, you can touch a stick of dynamite, but if you touch a venomous snake it’ll turn around and bite you and kill you so fast it’s not even funny.
- Steve Irwin - The Crocodile Hunter
bradmiller
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bernice » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:13 pm

I kinda figured what the knife and belt were for... the pyrex syringe is rather cool, but that's just because I work in a lab
I was confused about the Potassium permanganate tablets, because I know some vets use Potassium permanganate in place of styptic powder to stop bleeding... buuuuut it doesn work very well... all it does is turn you purple :/

Thanks for the info!
Happiness is a fat mouse and a warm rock!

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ales » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:12 pm

I found a very similar,if not the same,kit in my grandfathers house. Will bring it home next time I'm there.
What a world....
Ales
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wallas » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:46 pm

bradmiller wrote:nice piece of history - Johan Marais will be very interested in that!

Yes contact Johan, I am sure he would love it.

jmsnakes@gmail.com
Wallas
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:38 pm

That's a nice collectible. Would look great in a glass cabinet in someone's snake room.

Just a thought, if these methods were all thought effective, and now known to be bordering on idiotic, I wonder how people will look back on us in 10 years for using the bloody suction devices (also ineffective).

A large mining company I used to work for still forced us to carry these suction devices in the bush, but no harm I guess; it's great for insect bites and scorpion stings, but useless for snakes bites.

Anyway, back to the topic, some good friends you have there, Bernice!
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Marion » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:54 pm

Hey don't knock it!!! You never know - it may be worth something as a real antique or collectible someday!!!

Marion
Marion
SA Reptiles Member

Return to General Discussions